'07 Fusion V-6 with fast idle

Rate this topic

GregH

My sister bought this car brand new under the d-plan a while back and absolutely loves it...

But, she's complained a couple of times about an excessively high idle. About once a month the idle will be high enough that she'll have to stand on the brake to hold the vehicle stopped. Most times she'll shift it into park, shut it off, restart, and then it's fine for another month or so. When she shifts into park, the idle speed will rise to between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM.

I've had her tap the throttle, verify that the floor mats aren't interfering with pedal travel, and take it to the local dealer for diagnosis. The other dealer did not find anything wrong - no codes and could not duplicate. They did not have a VDR to install on her car. She lives 5 hours away from me, otherwise I'd be looking at it myself.

The problem ususally happens after a highway drive of at least 20 miles. It has happened in all weather conditions...

I've told her that I've seen throttle bodies mess up and cause this kind of thing. Not as bad nor as intermittant as hers, but the symptoms are similar.

What do you guys think?