EGR valve

Rate this topic

OK... everything I have been reading on the 6.7 indicates that the EGR valve is going to be made by Pierburg....

I came across this - if you look at page three, you will notice that the valve we eventually see should be at least be a little familiar.

Interesting developments... "back in the day" we would see companies built simply to fulfill a manufacturers need...

PrestoLite sold distributors and (IIRC) generators and even (at one point) alternators as well as regulators to manufacturers. FWIW, PrestoLite came into being as a supplier of headlight gas - early headlights being fueled by acetylene. Branching into other areas was only a natural progression.

Today, we have come full circle... collaboration (I can think of at least one current Ford transmission borne of a development effort between Ford and GM) and cross platform use...

Anyway... reading closely, we see that the EGR valve will now reside on the hot side of the EGR flow. This should help keep the valve clean. Is this by design? Or is it simply going to be a happy accident?

FWIW, early attempts at controlling EGR flow were nothing less than Neanderthal... A port was drilled into the carburettor venturi (very high in the venturi) to signal the need for EGR flow... This signal was very VERY weak... It required a vacuum amplifier to operate the valve.. Now.. to compound the affair, the valve would 'hit' too 'hard'. This would nose the car over.... give it a bit of a stumble until everything caught up...

EGR valves were developed that offered "feedback". Ford and GM used negative feedback valves and this is what I am more familiar with. If the feedback port carbonned over, the valve would hit too hard... and the car would nose over. Some techs would fix the concern... some techs would throw away handfuls of vacuum hoses...

Back then, it was easier to defeat the problem than it was to actually fix it...