Dual Cooling Systems

Rate this topic

I am sure we didn't see this coming but it makes sense considering the amount of heat that needs to be controlled in these trucks. It also equates to more components because we now have two complete systems. The only exception is that the EGR cooler gets coolant from both systems which do not mix.

Posted Image

What I think we are going to see....

While the stacked piezo crystal injector isn't proving to be the saviour many of us (me included) thought it would be, we do see that when these injectors are functioning as intended they allow a very precise fuel control. The "multistrike" low RPM capability is reducing engine noise, soot production (as far as I could immagine and kind of an oxymoron at best) and heat production. In short, when it is cold outside, the 6.4 is one cold hearted bitch. It isn't rare to see ECTs around 140~150 on an idling engine.

With the 6.7, they will take that technology and the knowledge gained and use it to their best advantage. Those of us closer to the Arctic Circle are most likely going to be plagued with "heater output is cold at idle" complaints.

While some of you guys will be concerned with getting rid of heat - some us will be concerned with retaining it for passenger comfort.

Complexity.... four fucking thermostat devices.... two a la 6.4 for the primary cooling system and two that are going to fuck us up for the secondary cooling system... WTF is "upper half" and "lower half".. why two thermostats? why two different temp settings? Johnny 5 said "Input.... need input...".

Keith... a long time ago you made a remark about "separating the men from the boys" - this operating system just might separate the men from their 'NADS