7 psi oil pressure

Rate this topic

I've got a '99 7.3 with low(7psi) oil pressure at idle, about 1300rpm and the pressure comes up nicely to 30 psi. No debris in filter,pressure relief is clean, gerotors look good, check valve is ok, runs fine, idiot light comes on????

Brad's right, the outer gear to housing is really loose, .030". The clearance between the gears may not be a spec but .005" sounds pretty good, but I've measured them closer. I'd change the pump anyway as they are not a low failure rate unit and many times they look "fine" but replacing them fixes the problem. I'd pressurize the oil galley with shop air and chase what sounds the loudest, but this may be a difficult procedure. Are there any complaints besides the oil light, like oil usage, smoking, noises, etc? The pickup tube in the pan could be cracked, but usually there would be an aeration complaint (unstable ICP and stalling).

I wonder if a few piston coolers missing would do this, as they break off commonly and are discarded by the LOF guy. I'd pull the drain plug and look for them. Also 7psi seems a bit high for the OPS, I might try another sender. I remember the spec at 3-6 or 4-6 or something. Has it had an LOF recently?

IH Specs:

Lubricating Oil Pump

Type

Gerotor

End Clearance - inner and outer rotor to housing

0.02-0.08 mm (0.001-0.003 in)

Radial clearance between outer rotor housing

0.71-0.81 mm (0.28-0.32 in)

Engine Lube Oil Pressure at Operating Temperature

At low idle speed (700 rpm) minimum

83 kPa (12 psi)

At high idle speed