Escape pto seal

Rate this topic

Mbl35

02 ford escape rt. halfshaft seal (pto outerseal) leaking. Four ford dealers and a partshouse supplied the wrong seal over a weeks time. I drove out to Long island yesturday and 1 local parts supplier had it and only them. They gave it to me in a bag with 4 seals-transfer case reseal kit for 22 bucks and change. This isn't so much of an oddball part to get is it? I don't recall having so much trouble getting an axle seal like this.

I've done a couple of these and they aren't fun. If it's leaking RED fluid it's not actually the PTO that's leaking, but rather tranny fluid leaking through it from a failed seal

#YL8W-7H429-AA

There is an outer dust seal and plastic cap on the outside of the pto that you will probably also need to replace, but the one that's actually leaking is in the back side of the pto (trans side) and you must remove the pto from the vehicle and pound it out the back. Of coure the PTO removal will require removal of the alternator and rear exhaust manifold in order to accomplish this.

Have fun

Oh, you mean the innerseal where the case meets the tranmission?

Yea i r&r a few trans @ the dealer and 02 is a real pain, i just thought the outer seal was worn, i'll keep a eye on it and i still have the rest of the seals. Thanks.

Oh, you mean the inner seal where the case meets the transmission?

Yea i r&r a few trans @ the dealer and 02 is a real pain, i just thought the outer seal was worn, I'll keep a eye on it and i still have the rest of the seals. Thanks.

Assuming you're seeing Red fluid... PTO fluid isn't red so if you're seeing red fluid from the outer dust seal (the only visible seal) where the axle shaft disappears into the pto, then yes. That axle shaft slides through SEVERAL seals. The one you can see is actually just a dust seal. behind that is a PTO fluid seal, behind that is another PTO fluid seal, Behind that is the seal you need YL8W-7H429-AA(or supersession thereof), behind that is a seal in the transmission which you should probably also replace for good measure. It seems this specific trans fluid seal (in the PTO) is sensitive to removal and installation of the RF axle shaft, though some of these decide to leak just because. If all you do is replace that outer dust seal you're not fixing anything that has to do with a red fluid leak. The PTO needs to come out and the little seal needs to be pounded out the back and replaced.

Thanks, changed the outer axle seal and re used the dust seal, im hoping its leaking due to an axle removal to remove the alternator-hoping.

Thanks, changed the outer axle seal and re used the dust seal, im hoping its leaking due to an axle removal to remove the alternator-hoping.

That's usually the root cause^^^^^^^^

Brain fart on this one it's been a few years since i removed a case on an escape-for trans r&r. But ok i just hope the last guy who rnr the alternator did'nt scuff the inner seal or maybe it's just what ran out and residue on frame from last time axle was out. i drove it around for a while and rechecked it and it was dry. Well soon see. Also the trans fluid level was never low.

Quote:
been a few years since i removed a case on an escape-for trans r&r

Don't take the case off to get the trans out, it's a waste of time and energy. The trans comes out very easily with all that crap intact.