leaking servo cover 5r55e

Rate this topic

This is my personal vehicle.The overdrive servo is leaking.I found a tsb concerning replacing the cover with a revised cover.It also says to remove the valve body and do some other things inside,which I am not certain of.Why can't the cover just be replaced?Any input would be appreciated.It's a 2002 ranger with a 3.0L

I went searching and I found TSB 02-08-03.. this is the one, right?

They have you remove the main control because (caution - memory thing happening) IIRC, the valve body interferes with the servo cover compressor.

It shouldn't be necessary to replace the band adjustment lock nut... but be aware that there is a seal on the face of the nut against the trans case that *may* possibly leak.

Additionally, the refer you to 02-08-02 which is superceded by 03-22-10... IF you have concerns with trans line pressure or are experiencing any or all of the listed symptoms, now would be a good time to change the main control separator plate (there was a known issue with the orignal plates - gasket failure allowing cross feeds) for the updated piece... if it were my trans, it would get the updated piece while I was in there, regardless...

Additionally... these transmissions have also been known to exhibit premature wear of the servo bores... If you see this concern once you get into it, Sonnax makes a kit to repair the servo pin bores...

If you are going to reference a TSB, please please please include the TSB number so a guy doesn't have to furble around looking for it...

More than you asked for... but I hope it helps.

Seems to me there is also a bore repair kit available through Ford now -- there was a TSB regarding this out some time in the summer, I would have some trouble tracking it down at this point.

With my present internet access, I mean.

You didn't need to add this... I recall "A" message too.... looking through the list of TSBs didn't reveal it so it might be an SSM or (worse yet) a broadcast message. The message referred to either the Dorman or Sonnax repairs anyway.