DEGAS BOTTLE OVERFLOW

Rate this topic

hey guys great site this is my first posting ever so please bear with me i have a 05 f350 cust brought in for degas bottle overflow only when towing follwing tsb found press cap junk replace cap and release vehicle came back week later cust has "friends" that are techs he chats with on other forum these techs on the other side of the country have convinced this guy that it was egr cooler. vehicle did have wetness in intake around egr valve after hard roadtest replace egr cooler problem still occurring cust now thinks oil cooler and does not want his engine taking down to do head gaskets so my question is has any one seen an oil cooler cause degas bottle overflow road test eot and ect normal at operating temp but seem erratic during warm up

If the oil cooler was bad you would have oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, that said if the coolant is clean or not oily and you have replaced the EGR cooler you more that likely have a bad head gasket or another bad EGR cooler. Air/combustion gases in the coolant can cause an erratic ect. The last EGR cooler I had was pushing coolant out of the bottle and looked oily so I was sure it was a head gasket but after it sat a while the "oily" dried and was actually exhaust soot from the cooler.

The last EGR cooler I had was pushing coolant out of the bottle and looked oily so I was sure it was a head gasket but after it sat a while the "oily" dried and was actually exhaust soot from the cooler.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one to make that mistake! I did that on my first head gasket job. Boy was I pissed!

Also verify the coolant level

see FSA# 05B32

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM

The coolant fill markings on the affected vehicles are incorrect, creating the potential for an over fill condition. An over fill condition may lead to fluid expulsion during high system aeration. Loss of fluid can cause engine overheating, and may cause a loss of engine power.

SERVICE ACTION

Dealers are to install a label on the de-gas bottle that incorporates the correct "cold fill range" min/max fluid level markings and, if necessary, adjust the fluid level. This is to be done at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Even without the decal, I recall some sort of message about the correct coolant level being below the "MIN" mark....

There is also another message (or it might have been hotline advice but do check for a message) about comparing EOT and ECT to determine EGR cooler/oil cooler condition.

A pooched oil cooler is unmistakeable.... believe me!!!!! Guess what I was working on today???? Yep... an oil change - through the degas bottle - again!!!!

Leaking EGR coolers will usually leave tattletales in the intake manifold or turbo and can even hydrolock an engine.

Head gasket failures, from what our shop sees, are the result of extremely high boost pressures that stress the headbolts to the point of stretch.... Once probably ain't too bad.... multiple times and we see a snowball effect.... like a sagging spring, the more it happens, the worse it gets....

i roadtested the vehicle while monitering ect and eot they seem to follow each other the cust told me he had it checked at another shop and they 50degs different i have seen no such difference and there is no oil in the coolant also while roadtest i tapped a press gauge into the intake dearation port cruise press was 17psi but under boost the press went very quickly up to 21psi and then dropped back down and let off throttle i ordered head gaskets per tsb i have my fingers crossed has anyone installed head studs if so was the cust satisfied and is the warranty affected this truck has 35000mis on it

I'VE FPUND THAT ONCE YOU HAVE ONE OF THE ABOVE PROBLEMS AND YOU OVER HEAT IT, YOU'VE WEAKENED BOTH THE COOLERS. wHEN i FIRST STARTED DOING THEM ONE COOLER OR THE OTHER OR HEAD GASKETS, THEY WOULD COME BACK FOR THE OTHER PROBLEMS. EVEN HAD AN FSE TELL ME BETTER OF DOING IT ALL TOGETHER. HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS SINCE THEN.

just finished the head gasket job today did not lift the cab did the last one that and did not like the process i dont know if it was my lift or the trucks lift that turned me off but just didn't like it oh well to each their own right any way i was wondering what kind of warranty time you guys have been getting for these oh yeah i had to replace the right cyl head because it was warped 0.005" and the head gasket had a peice of metal hanging off into #5 cyl??