110V Generator?

Rate this topic

Does such an animal exist?

I am looking for an add-on generator that is capable of producing a LOT of watts, and 110v, preferably something that would go in place of the secondary alternator on a 6.4 Powerstroke truck.

The higher the wattage capability the better. The reason I ask, is because a 6000 watt inverter is ENORMOUS, and I'd ideally like to use the truck as a stationary emergency power source, as opposed to buying a generator. I'd also like it to be a permanent installation, whereas there's nowhere to put an inverter of that size without limiting interior space. If it would fit behind the rear seat, I'd entertain the idea. I don't know if a product like this exists, but I figure this would be the place to ask! Thanks in advance fellows!

As bolt-on as possible would be nice, as well. I hate those bastardized kits that come with all sorts of goofy brackets and shit that seemingly do nothing aside from make EVERYTHING else under the hood a miserable prick to get at.

I took these pics at a fire mechanic's conference in Washington state I was teaching at.

AuraGen- 5000 or 8500 watts, 120/240, 50/60hz, pure AC sine wave.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.aurasystems.com/pages/tech_induction.htm

I know by how firefighting stuff is priced that it won't be cheap from Aura, but there's a guy on Ebay selling them for a reasonable price- $1400/offer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AuraGen-5KW-Generato...=item4cee57fd58

Posted Image

Like has been mentioned... look around at emergency services stuff.... OTOH, Cambodian Tire has gensets on for a LOT LESS moolah.... I purchased a "Yamaha" tiny genset for way too much coin of the realm just before the prices plummetted... Dwayne bought an identical unit (well... the paint isn't as pretty, at least) for - fuck you, I went as far as I will Posted Image

Now is not a good time to get narrow minded. If you have ever had to work around a V-Mac compressor, you probably wont like working around anything similar...

In the grand scheme of things... when the power goes out around here... it usually comes back on a few minutes after I haul out the genset and make my connections.

FWIW... if something goes wrong with the power company... a few bags of gas station ice can help save your freezer for a lot less than any gensets.

My genset is only 1500W and 110v.

It will barely run my freezer and my fridge.

And my concern with the A/C is moreso for the critters than myself. It can get pretty ugly here when it gets warm, especially inside.

News says we just lost another soldier in Asscrackistan. Sgt. James Patrick Macneil. Moment of silence, fellows. Support our troops. Thank you Sgt. Macneil for your service. Godspeed.

Speaking as an army brat, we allow the politicians to put our boys and girls in harms way - without the right tools to do the job. If those same politicians feel so strongly about us having a presence there... perhaps they should go themselves.

Dad spent 6 months in the (then) Belgian Congo with the UN peacekeeping forces in the very early '60s. This was in the days before satellite aided communications but we still had the good old trans atlantic cable ( I recall the most uttered phrase used in trans-oceanic conversations as being "What did you say?").

Now.... in August 1990, Canada sent the HMCS Protecteur to the middle-east after Iraq invaded Kuwait. But it is what is behind the story that is interesting.

Up until 1983, the Protecteur had a twin 3 inch gun on the bows. This was removed and then reinstalled before the boat left for the conflict. But it gets juicier...

In 1970, Canadas last aircraft carrier was decommissioned. We bought the HMCS Bonaventure as a used boat in 1957 (it was built for Britain for WW2). . When this boat was decommissioned, one of her Bofors gun sets was loaned to the Halifax Maritime Museum. In 1990, this gun set was "borrowed" back from the museum and installed on the Protecteur.

It was at the beginning of this conflict that we somehow managed to send soldiers to the desert wearing white 'camouflage' - which, I would imagine, stuck out like the proverbial "wedding prick". I understand that they "fixed" the problem (until replacement clothing could be shipped) by using spray paint.

Doing their jobs in the face of this kind of lunacy... our soldiers deserve all the praise and support they can get.

Sorry for the hijack... blame it on Aaron Posted Image

I just bought a champion power products geny from costco. I got the 3500w version, for 299$. They also had a 6500 watt version for 499$. The larger unit produces 220v. Seems to work great. Another option is a permanently installed home standby generator. Fires up and transfers load of selected circuits when power goes out automatically.Uses your homes propane or nat gass feed for fuel. They are available from about 7000 watts and up. I had a 17000 watt version, but decided not to install it so i resold it. I paid about 2500$ for the geny with auto transfer switch. Search Carrier or Generac home standby generators on google.

More so for portability. I have recently gone through a fairly shit filled few months, and I am going to be moving, and likely renting, so I don't know about renting a place and adding shit to it, they might frown upon that.