fuel system problems

Rate this topic

I have a 2009 f350 6.4 that has gone thru its 3 fuel system in less then 6000 kms. I don't know what is going on and the hotline does not know either.I have never found any water in the tank,any rust stains in the secondary housing or in the high pressure fuel pump and he has told me that he is not putting any non ford fuel conditioner in the tank. I have called around and there is only one place in my province that does fuel testing and they are back up for 2 months. At first I was shit scared that I was not flushing the system enough after replacing all the fuel system parts but that is not the case. I would start with a low pressure flush,disconnect all lines then flush them(as well as the cylinder heads),replaced the frame mounted pump,secondary housing,all flex fuel lines,fuel cooler,injectors,rails fuel, fuel rail pressure snesor, flush out fuel tank,then bled the low pressure fuel system then the high side, the customer states that when it gets around 80 km to empty and it will die and not re start,so I checked the pick up to see if it is bias,but it reads correctly. the codes I get are p0087 and p2291,I will preforme the pinpoint test but when I get to the part were it tells to to put the high pressure bled tool in it will blow out I shit load of air then clear out and look clear. after this it will re start but the end result is that I will always have metal in the fuel system. This time I will be replacing the in tank sending unit and the fuel return tubes along with everything else. I am shity at writing posts so if anything sounds funny just ask me to clarify. just looking for input or any kind of advice. I have alot of time to think about this one because some of the parts are backordered till end of september

How close have you looked at the sending unit? may have a pinhole or crack near the bottom causing it to suck air, or maybe its bent and not sitting at the bottom. Put a clear hose at the inlet of the lp pump and see if theres alot of air in the fuel. 80 km to empty is not much fuel at all, why the hell do people run these things that low? (Its just as easy to keep the top half full as the bottom half.)

• 1 month later...

Well, all my parts are in. I put the order in jul 29!!!,the fuel cooler has been replaced every time so I think I am safe there. I looked at the pickup and don't see much. Its straight and air checked it and I did not find anything that way. I did find that the fuel lines that run from the secondary housing down to the hfcm had worn away the inside of the fuel line hold down clamp. Its Like what would happen on the right side fuel line on a 7.3. I air checked both lines but did not find a leak, both lines and both fuel line hold downs are being replaced. I am replacing the pickup as well. The stalling with 80 left in the tank is odd because every time I go on a road test after the repair the truck only has about 40 litres of fuel in it(around 80 kms to empty),the truck runs good and re starts hot and cold good so I am kind of at a loss for what is going on. If anyone has anything else to add I would much appreciate it.

We get about 5 trucks a week with metal in the fuel system. I know these fuel injectors are zero tolerance injector but I'm getting tired of replacing entire fuel system when the truck is not even running rough. I would like to just replace the HPP and let it roll but they force you to check for metal and all of them have metal in the fuel system.

We get about 5 trucks a week with metal in the fuel system. I know these fuel injectors are zero tolerance injector but I'm getting tired of replacing entire fuel system when the truck is not even running rough. I would like to just replace the HPP and let it roll but they force you to check for metal and all of them have metal in the fuel system.

It's either check for metal or have the truck come back later for injectors...

From what I have seen they have not come back for injectors. I used to do alot before they started all this metal in the fuel system check.

I starting to believe that there is no stopping this metal in the fuel. About 95% of the trucks that come in have clean diesel in them and no signs of rust in the filter housing.

And on top of everything else they are starting to charge back parts. We have had two FRP sensor charged back because we are not supposed to change them for no reason. Well I say excuse me if the stupid warranty people can't get their heads straight and together and agree on what needs to be replaced and what doesn't need to be replaced. Every one of them give different answers every time. Maybe I should say read the WSM yourself and you will see in bold print that the FRP sensor is not to be reused when it is removed.