waiting for the fight to subside

Rate this topic

glad to see you made it home after ecoboost class. howed you like that k.c. rush hour? all you can do is tell them what they need, to bad so sad. danny of grandview.

I knew there was a reason why I didn't like larger cities!

You know, getting into one of these engines is a big process and once you know you are headed there you had better hope that you made the appropriate diagnostic tests. What also scares me is that usually by the time you get to the point where you can somewhat confidently define whether a repair is warranty or the customer's responsibility you have invested a lot of time and likely tied up a bay.

It's kinda like walking into a dark cave with a dead flashlight looking for the guy handing out batteries.

the vehicle had a DPF replaced at 95k miles. The oasis showed no definitive reason for the replacement. Now, it has 103k miles. The DPF is completely plugged, no exhaust at all passing the filter. Oil in the CAC, in the exhaust. The high pressure turbo locked up (wont spin at all), low pressure turbo fails the bearing clearance test with a dial indicator.

But.... but.... but... the Spamsoil guy said if I ran a bypass filter (you, know, the one that "steals" oil my engine could use) I could extend my oil change interval to nearly forever...

The misconceptions that civilians have regarding diesel engines are astounding.

Add that the cost of a service on a diesel powered truck is through the roof..... Not long ago, Adam had a 6.4 that some enterprising soul had carved the filter medium out of a NAPA filter cap and installed a Ford filter cartridge - didn't work too good.

We also found that moderns service intervals would allow the entry on oil change stickers to fade into oblivion the sunlight allowing the customer to forget his way into a neglect situation.

And, of course, there are those customers who refuse to allow the hood to be opened until things just don't work any more.

I have to wonder if these new ones with the intelligent oil life monitor have a hidden file that records when (in miles and engine hours) the minder is reset.... bearing in mind it shouldn't be hard to deduce how many times a minder might have been reset without the corresponding oil change.

Quote:
"But but but... my Blackstone reports tell me that I can increase my oil change interval by another 1500 miles! I am now up to 10,500 MILES per change and of course I am paying more for the synthetic blend I get over at Wal-Mart... but it's worth it. It doesn't show signs of "sheering" until about 8000 miles..."

Sad but true Jim, there are people who don't open the hood until something is broken

That could be. Its a fairly nice looking truck externally. Its from out of town (way out of town), and theres some unusual circumstances going along with it (no aftermarket mods though). Its been serviced (according to the customer) at one dealership. It was purchased used though.

I have a 6.4 in torn apart right now. 22,000 KM with a totally grenaded cylinder 8 piston and rod. It's had 2 oil changes in nearly 2000 hours. The salesman apparently "never told him" you have to change the oil every 200 hours... The funny part is, after some arguing back and forth with Ford, the customer was granted warranty on it, because he wasn't properly instructed on the maintenance intervals. Nice.

The funny part is, after some arguing back and forth with Ford, the customer was granted warranty on it, because he wasn't properly instructed on the maintenance intervals. Nice.

So you mean, that customers now have to be TOLD to maintain their trucks? So why does Ford print owner's manuals and Diesel Engine supplements? For US to read?

So with that line of logic, if a customer installs a tuner into his truck and nobody tells him that he is not supposed to then it's okay if he blows it up? Sounds like somebody is dropping the ball up there in Canada.

Have you seen the sheet that is "signed off on" by the owner at delivery of a 6.7? It shows all of this stuff on it and is signed by the owner at delivery.

Yes sir, we did tell you about that, and you did sign right here. That IS your signature sir, correct?

Posted Image

He argued that the manual isn't clear, and it states that oil change intervals are 16,000KM.

We want to get the sales department to introduce (diesel) customers to us (commercial service) so we can most importantly meet them, and also inform them of service requirements and the services we offer. Also, to let them know we can do oil changes while you wait for the same price (or better) than the lube places. For some reason, customers still don't know that dealerships can do that too. I guess we need to advertise as aggressively as those places to get the word out.

on the new intelligent oil minders you mentioned jim, at my 6.7 certifying class the instructor told us absolutely you can pull up all that data as to any maintainence, whenever the cluster tells the customer and when it is reset, and he said the customer better have the receipts to prove it.