Hey, Keith... Remember this?

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

It started with this... http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/problems-6-0-lifters-265811/

Then turned in to this... http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/...er-tech-265568/

And now this is on the INFORD message board...

Xxxxx Xxxxx

XXXXXX

XX XXXXXXXX XXXX

XX XXXXXXXXX , ON

posted Sep 23, 2010 6:49PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in need of some other opinions. We have a customer who insists that because of the fact that the bypass valve and spring has been missing from his engine for an unknown amount of time, (approximatly 4 oil changes as far as we know) that this caused a lifter roler to break and cause a lot of damage to his engine. (camshaft, lifter, oil pump etc.) The oil changes were done in fastlane and yes, the missing parts were not noticed by anyone. The filter has metalic substance on the outside of the filter itself so the filter was still doing its job and the roler part of the lifter is not pressure fed oil, it is lubricated only by splash action. Just looking for further opinions, as this guy is taking us to court. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Quote:
the bypass valve and spring has been missing from his engine for an unknown amount of time

I am ashamed to admit that I never check to see if that bugger is missing. You can bet it's on my agenda now though. I do however always check the 7.3 valves.

I look though not necessarily with the express purpose of checking the valve. It's kinda like wiping off the oil filter flange on a gasser and making sure the old gasket is not stuck in place... it's second nature at this point. I do notice when the little white rings are installed and I did catch one valve missing a few years ago...

I have seen several cam/lifter failures on the 6.0 over the years. It has been always on high idle time vehicles, airport shuttle buses and ambulances. The few that had hour meters in them were all over the 12000 to 15000 hour mark with around 120000 to 150000 miles. On the airport shuttle buses I do all the maintenance and always check the filter bypass valve and replace the filter stand pipe as necessary. I can see this failure coming for quite some time with small particles of metal on the drain plug magnet and then roller bearings from the lifters. Finally it gets towed in with no base oil pressure and the low pressure oil pump and front cover is all torn up. Yea I could of repaired them under the Ford Extended warranty but I would rather let the engine grenade so it can be repaired correctly with a short or long block and stick it up Fords ass with all the extra diagnosis. Cam and lifters are only lubed by splash so lots of idling will take them out. I also would rather work on these E series than a F series, once you know the short cuts and tricks there is lots of money to be made. Flame on

Posted ImagePosted Image