P1249

Rate this topic

Hooray. I finally got a 6.7L in with a check engine light on. The turbocharger wastegate control solenoid is pooched according to the PCED.

Anybody get a look at pinpoint tests KA for this engine? Smoke testing this thing is not going to be pretty if you have to. Since I didn't have any of the "suitable" items required I moved on to proving out the rest of the system before looking for leaks.

• 1 month later...

Keith,

Did you ever come to a resolution on this? I have the same senario going on with a new unit, 3k, on the odometer. KOER hard fault P1249 that I couldn't clear. Pinpoints revealed nothing...wastegate actuator was functional during tests KA. Every test for the solenoid passed and no physical damage or concerns noted. Hot line was of no real help. Wound up swapping out the solenoid from a lot vehicle and SHAZAM...code gone, vehicle fixed.

This vehicle needed a wastegate control solenoid but that only fixed it temporarily. I found some rubber chunks in the solenoid which was odd and it, for lack of any better explanation appeared to have been tampered with somewhere in the production process.

This truck only had a little more than 100 miles on it and was being driven by the owner of the dealership - a guy who would never open the hood mush less screw with anything.

Ultimately I found the rubber connector on the vacuum line was split at the seem and leaking vacuum - in a manner that created no hissing AND when I connected my vacuum gage to it it did not leak because the nipple on my gage is longer than the nipple on the solenoid.

I took a rubber connector off of a salvaged harness to repair the condition.

Is the rubber pieces in the solenoid related to the split vacuum line connector? I can't say. The pieces are stuck in the solenoid and looking at the connector, I didn't notice any pieces missing... just a split in the rubber.

I got hosed on that one.

• 1 year later...

I had one today that kept setting a P1249 KOER but it never set a code in 40 miles of driving. KA passed 3 times. Hotline told me to let it go but I still don't feel right about it.

It came in with a P0069 and P0402 plus a few cat over temp codes and soot acculumation codes. Cleared them out and it set a P0402 within a few miles of driving. The first time I ran KA6 the MAP did not change when the wastegate was moved, I watched it physically move its range of travel but no MAP change. I swapped in a MAP from a new vehicle this morning and ran KA again, the MAP shows change now and it's no longer setting P0402 on the roadtest.

No idea about the P1249 though. I watched the wastegate move during KOER

• 4 weeks later...

Seen another tech chasing a turbo related code & after replacing and adjusting wastegate solenoid, he removed removed wastegate solenoid from a known good truck and fixed concern.

• 9 months later...

Had another one for the last few days, cust complaining of a hesitation but I didn't feel anything and even drove the truck home. No DTCs in memory but it sets a P1249 KOER.  Of course pinpoint test KA passes with flying colors so I orded a wastegate solenoid for it.  No dice, still setting P1249 KOER and no other DTCs while driving.  I have to let it go for now. 

I've got a strong feeling this thing is very close to needing EGR coolers.  I took a peak at the core through the up-pipe hole, very plugged up.  I remember hearing similar reports of lack of power or hesitation on other P0401 trucks I've done.  I never actually drove them though to see what driveability concerns arise from a plugged EGR cooler core. 

• 8 months later...

Had another one today.  Had a P0401 and P1249 in memory.  Cooler plugged totally shut.  Replace cooler, took it for a ride, now it sets the P1249 plus a code for the EGR bypass actuator.  Somehow the bypass actuator is now INOP (who knows) so I stole one off another truck and installed it.  KOER test just sets P1249 now. Used the known good wastegate solenoid I had stashed away from the truck I posted about last.  Code still returns KOER but I cleared the MAF adaptive tables and now it won't set in 20+ miles of driving.  Checked the vacuum lines and the wastegate when I had the actuator off, everything works fine.  I've got a feeling this is a code that's being generated from some other out of value parameter not necessarily anything actually wrong with the wastegate or controls. I wonder about the correlation between the wastegate, EGR and exhaust back pressure. Can't you look at the EGR basically a wastegate by itself?  Clogged EGR = not enough exhaust pressure bleed off.

I should have cleaned the lower intake manifold out while the upper was already off for the egr cooler.  As bad as the cooler was I wouldn't be surprised if the intake is nearly clogged shut too.  Didn't even think of it until the P1249 came back.  I was a little proactive and cleaned the MAP sensor and port in the upper intake.  Both of those were badly clogged too. 

:shrug:

edit - Also neither of the 2 trucks I posted about above have returned for any kind of boost/wastegate/EGR related concerns though I still service both regularly. 

• 7 months later...

have a 12 model that customer states check engine light comes on intermittently, when checked out truck koeo=pass, no cmdtc present, koer sets p1249, had egr cooler replaced in November, when running pinpoint test ka1-ka16 all passed, no leaks found in exhaust or intake, removed map and was not plugged up, verified waste gate did not bleed off with manual vacuum pump, and 26 psi of vacuum to wastegate solenoid, replaced waste gate solenoid and still sets dtc on koer. hotline suggest to replace map sensor, and if still sets dtc then it is possibly paremeters on ids, however ids is at latest level 94.01, and tried with 2 different computers any way. when looking at diag aid at front of ka test  it states that it is looking for a change of map from .19v to .29v, which is a very small movement. I suspect that the waste gate in side turbo is full of carbon and cannot be controlled fast enough for the small increment the intrusive monitor is looking for, not confirmed. hotline states if still sets dtc after replacing map sensor, drive for considerable amount of time to see if check engine light ever comes on and if not then release truck. I was taught that if dtc set on koer this is a hard fault, has any body attempt to clean waste gate inside turbo?

Not me, I rarely have the dual boost turbos out for any concerns so I've never had the chance to even look at the wastegate.  

This is one of those codes that if it only generates on KOER, will not generate on a roadtest and I can't seem to resolve it then the vehicle leaves :shrug: .  I always seem to find it along with another concern, lets say perhaps "customer states veh lacks power at times"

Also I have never had this code by itself and had the check engine light on. It's either accompanied with other codes or it comes KOER when PCM was already a pass. 

I fix a lot of air management faults with MAF and MAP sensors.  I would love to have one of each as a diagnostic tool, unfortunately the MAF is quite expensive and has a core. 

stand alone code and only on koer, tried map sensor off of another truck and still sets on koer, never turned service light on no drivability symptoms found. Released truck, just bothers me , in my mind this is a hard fault, hotline was no real help, they stated if ka test passed, and light does not come on then no faults with truck.

• 1 month later...

Just got one. Found vacuum supply hose to egr by pass valve cracked. Replaced hose and rerun koer, all pass. Road tested, code

did not return. Let you guys know if it comes back.

The last one I had came in with a CEL and P1249.  I replaced the wastegate solenoid and actuator and released it.  Before I let it go, it would still set the DTC on a KOER test, but not the light.  The truck has been back a few times for various reasons, but never a CEL.  I run a KOER every time it's in, and it always sets the code.  Never a light anymore...

• 11 months later...

Had '11 today with a P1249 and P24A5. EGR vacuum hose going from the EGR cooler bypass valve solenoind to actuator was broke and brittle. Put in a piece of stock vac hose until next week.