oil leak from front crank shaft seal

Rate this topic

2002 f350 7.3 towed in lost 10 quarts of oil from front crank shaft seal removed balancer and oil pump cover seal and wear sleeve appear to be installed correctly seems to be looser than normal fit when seal is over wear sleeve i have a new balencer with wear sleeve installed and new oil pump cover and compared it to old one seems like a tighter fit but not much engine has 254591 miles and has excessive blow by and i am thinking thats the reason for pushing the oil out truck is from out of town and another dealer has replaced the seal recently but i am not sure what the reason for prevouis repair were the driver is not sure if it is crank case pressure causing concern is there anything anybody can think of to get truck back on the road without replacing engine with correct oil level truck starts and runs good filled crankcase with oil and drove before dissassembly any input would be greatly appreciated thanks for your time

just updating the repair or bandaid applied to this motor just so happened the tech next to was working on 2000 f450 with 325.000on the clock at the same time i was working on this truck i compared the depth of installation of crank seal to find his was installed about 1/8 inch farther than the one that came installed in the oil pump cover i also noticed on this other truck that someone drilled a couple of holes in the bottom of the oil filler cap i assume to relieve crank case pressure i also took the breather off the valve cover ran some brake clean and shop air thru it it did not look to bad to start with and parts quoted 180.00 for new one i put the seal in a little farther hoping it would grab more of the wear sleeve drilled a couple of small holes in bottom of oil filler cap put it back together changed the oil went out and drove it hard no leaks said a prayer and sent the owner on his way have not heard back whether he made it or not truck needed a motor the owner just wanted to get home i hope he did and also thanks to everyone that makes this website a great place to get information or to vent or to get a laugh wthout all the b.s. thanks again!!!