7.3 oil consumption

Rate this topic

looking for any info on 7.3 using oil roughly 1quart a week ...compression test passes ..has all new injectors and crankcase psi is 2" of mec per all the specs this engine should not be burning any oil but has a lot oil in inter cooler and inatke tube off of air filter ... turbo is dry and cold side inter cooler tube drips oil out of it ...i am in the process of tearing this engine down and inspecting ...engine is out that is as far as i got .....anywas any help greatly appriciated thanks

hey there guys. engineering has said that any movement of the in/Hg gauge means that there is some wear in the engine. 2" of crankcase pressure sound like a scored ring. maybe something at the factory was buggered up when assembled?? but any blowby significant enough to move the pressure gauge indicates a problem... just my 2 cents.....

• 1 year later...

Are your injectors new or Reman? I've been burned by a reman injector before. If you have one of the 7.3 injector bench testers that Ford sent to us a couple years ago, you can vacuum test the injectors to check for internal plunger leakage - which will cause oil consumption because it will be injected in to the cylinder and be burned as fuel. There is a video clip on the tech time plus archives that explains how it works (I think a web course too). I'd start there before doing exploratory surgery on the engine.

Ford reman injectors kinda leave me "cold", anyway. One of our techs suffered through about 30 hours on a FQR 7.3, jumping through hotlines hoops. A set of aftermarket injectors was the cure.

If worst comes to worst, pop the exhaust manifolds and look for any "smoking guns".

I only use Alliant New injectors, been burnt too many times with reman ford injectors. I have had good results reading the glow plugs, wash the pocket with brake cleaner and blowout the residue, when you get the glow plug out the offending injector will leave a tan residue from the engine oil. It has not failed me yet.