rusty 6.4 fuel system

Rate this topic

I have 6.4 that has seen lots of water. The fuel return passage ways are stained brown from the water. My question is should the heads be replaced or should it be ok so long as they are clear of any visible dabris?

Tough question. I ran into this once and we (HotLine and I) opted to flush the heads. I used the test fitting I fabricated from an old fuel line For 6.0L Econolines) to run combustion chamber cleaner through the head until it was clear. I initially did this with the injectors installed as they were being replaced any way. With them out I ran compressed air through the head. Everything had to be replaced on that one... here is the flushing.

Posted Image

The jar on the left is the first of the crap that came out of the fuel return port in the head. The jar on the right was at the end of the second can of combustion chamber cleaner. You can see that it is nice and clear. Even though fuel from the head goes back to the filter you still want to get the debris out.

Posted Image

The truck has not returned since completing the repairs.

Wow Thanks for the info. I called the hotline and at the end of the conversation they said that if the passage in the head was clear of debris that it would be ok. Then ten minutes later he called me back told me that if the stains did not clear up after flushing with clean diesel that the heads should be replaced. I like the carb cleaner idea, did you flush all the hard lines with carb cleaner? Or did you just use diesel fuel to flush.

ALL engine fuel system parts were replaced along with the HFCM, tank inspection and repaired as necessary. The fuel supply lines are basically the only thing I never touch. Any debris there is minimal and has two filters to catch any remaining garbage which doesn't concern me and never has caused any problems.

Replacing all the fuel system parts noted in the wsm is a given. I am just always worried about my cleaning technique. I just want to make sure that what I am doing is going to make the system 100% clean. I have three contamination jobs in a row. Two 6.4 major water damaged and one 6.7 filled and run on gas. One of the 6.4's the got me to use used parts on and it did not even last two weeks before it came back with low icp when cranking. The best part about that one is the used hpp that they sent me the had a damaged vcv connector. I told the insurance company to get another pump, so they got the auto wrecker who supplied the pump to come down and they took both old hpp and the damaged hpp and got the vcv solenoids swapped. I did not have much say in what was going on and was told to install the pump. Nice! This job has gone right down the shiter! Anyway I just hope the 6.7 is as easy to work on as they say because I am sick off lifting cabs on 6.4

I Just got parts in. Its next in line just finishing the second 6.4 water damage job right now. There Svb 2010 48n bulletin that gives us a part list of what to replace. I think for some reason this bulletin is only on the Canadian side of Ford.