MD Diesel training

Rate this topic

For those of you who work on MD Diesel trucks, where do you get your training at? Ford? International? ??? I'm just curious if we (as Ford tech's in general)have access to the MD Diesel training somewhere. Is there another website or something we have to go to....if I wanted to study up a bit, where should I go...please dont say college, I'm already in college working on my bachelor's degree and have about 25 credits left to go so I'm not really interested in going back again anytime soon. College used to be easy but a wife,3 kids, and full time job later I find 1/2 time difficult to keep up with.

Define "MD Training."

With LCF trucks the training was all Ford and the training I attended was more of a new model training course. Most of the engine and trans material was built upon pre-requisite training on Torqshift transmissions and the prior diesel training. The class focused on the new and unique features of the 4.5L and using the MD Truck software. Since Ford had dropped the LCF that training is no longer available as far as I know.

With the F650 and F750 trucks I don't recall seeing any Ford training for the vehicles themselves however there were classes for the New Holland engines and the FD Series engines(re-badged Cummins) which I attended wayyyyy back in the late 1980's or early 1990's.

In general, MD trucks are a different animal than say the light duty trucks produced by Ford and most other manufactures. They are built from major components supplied by different manufacturers of engines, transmissions, axles and braking systems to name the most common. If you are to perform warranty work on Cat or Cummins engines and Allison transmissions you will need to be trained and certified by those manufacturers. This can be costly and unless you do a lot of business with those products it may not be worth the cost and effort. Also dealing with many of those companies from a dealership is, well, not easy to put it nicely.

If you are simply a Ford dealer technician working on Power Stoke engines and occasionally an LCF or F650/750 you will be fine with what you have available to you. Otherwise you do have the collective brains of the DTS members to pick.

Posted Image Keep in mind this is based on MY experience. Others may have different advice.