FEAD issues lately.

Rate this topic

Has anyone else been having FEAD issues with the 6.4's lately? I've had three this week and two last week with grenaded tensioners and destroyed belts (primary belt, not a/c). Have also had quite a number of "chirps when cold soaked" (tsb 09-09-08)....Funny how things come in waves, not funny trying to unwind all the strands of belt braided around the clutch fan...

I look at the tensioners on every service, no matter what they are in for. You would be amazed at how far them things will lay over before the customer even knows somethings amiss.

What we see is a strange noise from the front of a cold engine... Tensioner is one of those things we always look at. Can you say "pattern failure" boys and girls?

AC tensioners fail on occasion, too but a more common concern is dirt in the AC clutch making noise.

Quote:
What sucks about this is the tensioners on the 6.4L are covered by the 5/100 diesel engine warranty.

Yeah, no doubt. Of all the things to cover on diesel engine warrantee?

well i caught my first one on it's way out. had a 350 in today that needs an injector. thinking about this thread i took a look up at it from the bottom and sure enough. i'm not an advocate of upselling warranty but this is an oil field guy that drives down to ky every weekend.

"Upselling warranty".....

Ford demands that we fill out a QC550 or similar on every car or truck that comes into the shop... Concerns are prioritized with a tick mark in a box that will be green, yellow or red to indicate the scope of the concern.

If you look at this QC550 , you will notice that, at the top of section 2, Ford has us comment on the condition of the drive belt(s). From where I sit, this would include any condition that will allow the FEAD belt to fail unexpectedly.

If you can't "upsell" something - why would they have you look at it..... and if it is bad, tick it off in red?

I went through a run of washer nozzles last year and then as abruptly as it started, they stopped. I guess there must have been a production run where the plastic was different? They got really brittle... probably from the heat of the turbo they sat above and yeah, lookin at them sometimes was enough to break em!

anyone breaking washer nozzles? seems like if you look at these things the wrong way they fall apart. maybe it's just me

Yes, and they don't take much to break off. You have to be careful when changing the air filter so not to hit the washer hose.

• 1 month later...