7.3l oil pan replacement

Rate this topic

First, welcome to the DTS Forums! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

I once resealed the pan in a 1995 F350. It involved removing the turbo and the fan then jacking the engine up. There wasn't much room to work with but I did it. Once I unstuck the pan from the block I had to remove the oil pick-up tube. The difficult parts are keeping the sealing surfaces clean as oil will run down inside the block and not ruining the fresh bead of silicone while reinstalling the pick-up tube. A 7.3L is not that hard to get out of a truck and I think removing the engine is worth the aggravation you wont have to deal with.

Just my humble opinion. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I agree completely with Keith, we've done many of them. It's quicker and less likely to be a problem pulling the motor. One thing is for sure- if you do one in the chassis, it will be the last one you do in the chassis.

Good Luck!

Well, I guess it comes down to preference and who has a good trick. I see you are in Vermont and wonder if your roads are treated with salt like the roads here in NJ in winter. The road salts are DESTROYING many oil pans here. Ca$h we are getting around 22 hours to R&R an oil pan for a 7.3L... plus extra time for any broken fasteners requiring machining or extracting. As far as easy is concerned I wouldn't go that far unless you are comparing it to a six liter.

(thats six litre for our Canadian friends /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif )

I pull the motor. It's almost impossible to get the oil to stop dripping with the engine in the truck...as much trouble as it is to get the pan off due to the "glue" they use, I sure wouldn't want to do one for warranty time after it leaked on my first attempt...

But maybe you got it figured-out?

The salt here is an automotive nitemare to say the least. We get about the same time for cash jobs but they are mostly town trucks with these gigantic plow frames in the way and hydralic hoses and belt driven pumps everywhere. I seem to agree with the majority here, sometimes a short cut just isn't worth it.

pull the motor,I can get a 7.3 on the floor in under 2 hours.Like stated before,its worth not having the aggravation....but to each his own.

pull the motor,I can get a 7.3 on the floor in under 2 hours.Like stated before,its worth not having the aggravation....but to each his own.

Sounds like you are a young supertech... :rolleyes:

Actually, two hours may not be that far fetched.... unless there is a need to put the truck back together again - then there could be a little "extra labour" involved... Like welding and paint and....