11b23

Rate this topic

kellyf

Wow.Has anyone else seen this?Sounds like the miracle for the 6.4 engine.Fixes smoking,fueling and coolant loss issues.I wonder................

hopefully they wrote something in there for more reliable water in fuel detection.

either way this will bring in a bunch of 6.4 customers i can upsell rads to

edit - read the customer information sheet

you vehicles powertrain control module has been updated with improved fault detection capabilities to minimize engine related repair costs. below is a list of enhanced warning features in the new update:

-water in fuel reduced power mode

-engine coolant temperature monitoring

-overfilled crankcase detection (excessive oil level)

-oil cooler efficiency detection

-turbocharger overboost detection

when a fault is detected in these areas, the pcm may implement the following:

-wrench light illumination

-reduce the engine power (limp home operation)

-instrument cluster displays "reduced engine power"

I wonder how they will detect overfilled engine oil?

I would like to know that as well.

Without a level sensor in the oil pan I imagine the answer is that the PCM is looking at something that is affected by the high crankcase condition. If we think about what happens when oil levels rise:

-may affect crank speed and show up in the signal

-may cause higher EGT readings

Thoughts? Posted Image

They may have figured out when the crankshaft counterweights hit the oil/fuel and how much it slows down the crankshaft. Or possibly EOT compared to ECT. Does fuel cool faster than oil?

hopefully they wrote something in there for more reliable water in fuel detection.

From what I learned at the 6.7L class, the 6.4L has a good water in fuel detection, but it take 6 key cycles to turn the light/message on. When you have a truck that hardly gets shut off you have a recipe for disaster. By the time the light is on the damage is done.

We tell customers to drain it once a week. We also tell them that if they don't, certain failures will not be covered by Ford and it is nearly impossible to hide the cause of the damage.

I picked the brain of the guy from Ford about the update. Crankcase overfill is detected by certain sensor readings going out of range. EGT mostly. They found that by adding fuel to a running engine they noticed significant changes in certain tempuratures. He also said that at 3 litres overfull the crankcase vapor seperator stops working and the vapors get sucked into the intake instead of being drained down into the crankcase. They also destroyed 12 engines during this testing.

"Fault detection".....

I envision more 6.4s pulled over to the side of the road waiting for reduced engine power mode to pass..... or waiting for a tow truck...

Kelly, I don't think this is going to fix those concerns quite the way some think it will.

I have no doubts it will help reduce some "costly repairs"... but only because the PCM is going to stop the engine from hurting itself when stuff does go wrong.

One other thing that I just recalled from the conversation. Low coolant will also be detected by a sharp drop in ECT as the coolant drops below the level of the sensor, accompanied by an increase in EOT as oil cooler efficiency drops. This will also cause derate.

• 2 weeks later...

The truck I worked on last week could of used that overfill detection. Engine was way overfilled that it filled the CAC and got sucked into the intake and locked the engine up. A simple front cover job turned into a messy engine teardown.

Customer was angry when he seen his truck tore apart but some of the blame should of went on him as well because if he had paid attention to his truck then he would of noticed that the degas bottle was empty and his oil was sludged up.

They found that by adding fuel to a running engine they noticed significant changes in certain tempuratures. He also said that at 3 litres overfull the crankcase vapor seperator stops working and the vapors get sucked into the intake instead of being drained down into the crankcase. They also destroyed 12 engines during this testing.

And hopefully they gathered enough information from that to make this calibration accurate for real world applications. I guess I'm still a little skeptical on this.

Did the first today. IDS threw me a bunch of testman errors and closed out right in the middle of the pcm reprogram. Nice, now the theft light is flashing and the thing won't do anything but crank. Restarted the laptop and restored my unclosed session and everything went through fine. However, when i was completed with the module reprogramming it seemed like it skipped a couple steps(clearing codes and starting vehicle) before throwing me back out. Truck started fine now but going back into reprogramming showed that the latest calibration wasn't installed. Went back through the process again and it took this time.

Did one Friday on a very early build '08. Advisors didn't even know about it, yet they print out and attach an OASIS to every R.O. Posted Image

We get alot of those also, even after I have mentioned the recall.

My second 11B23 truck is sitting in the bay waiting for a new TCM to replace the one that has lost communication with everything!

For curiosity sake, can you check the build date on this truck? I've had it happen to me before while programming, and it seems to happen (to me, anyway) on very early (2006) built units. Basically pre-production units that were reconditioned for sale.

Did one the other day after another tech did a coolant flush. Came in the next day, wrench light and reduced power. P00b7-abnormal coolant temp fluctuations. Hoping it was just an air pocket from the flush. This seems a little too picky now.

read a few posts on FMC saying a hyper extended bypass thermostat could cause that code

possible this calibration will quickly unmask previously unseen problems? i guess that's what it's supposed to do