running a 6.4 banjo bolt on a 6.0 head

Rate this topic

I keep reading on another forum that guys modifying their 6.0s are putting 6.4 banjo bolts in place of their stock 6.0 bolts. We all know the the stock bolt has a check valve in it that is supposed to maintain a constant fuel pressure in the head, meanwhile the 6.4 bolt serves a completely different purpose. They claim the 6.4 bolt(being completely open inside) is less restrictive under WOT situations.

I don't drive or work on race trucks so I would never consider doing this but can anyone think of potential problems that could arise? Surely that check valve was deemed necessary, if they could have gotten away without using it I would think they would have opted for a cheaper solution

I know we don't talk performance on this site but there are more intelligent minds here than over there. Somewhere someone said this was a good idea but I haven't seen any testing to prove it factual

anyone care? Posted Image

The check valves were installed to reduce fuel pressure fluctuations. Not being an engineer, and not having tested the efficacy of this claim... what can I say?

"Back in the day", it was common for owners of small block Chev engines to flip their air cleaner lids upside down. The sound when the carburettor secondary bores opened was impressive and owners would equate this with more horsepower.

For my own self... there are times when my truck can get extra special dirty. Sometimes, it can be a while before I get the opportunity to clean it. Once I do clean it, it always seems to run better/quieter/smoother. Perception is a powerful force.

Look at some of the other stuff that "they" do.. the zoodad mod for one. Perpetrators often claim improvements.... Just by drilling holes in an air cleaner... sometimes in the wrong part of the air cleaner.

For Joe Average... I think most of this stuff is over rated.

"Back in the day", it was common for owners of small block Chev engines to flip their air cleaner lids upside down. The sound when the carburettor secondary bores opened was impressive and owners would equate this with more horsepower.

Back before I was a mechanic, oops, make that a technician, I used to drive a delivery truck for a plumbing wholesale chain. I would do this all the time on the old chevy 3500 they gave me. Back then life was so much simpler.

Thanks for the flashback moment Jim, I needed that.