Nitrous Oxide?

Rate this topic

In this video, at 10 seconds in the narrator states that EGR valves reduce "Nitrous Oxide" emissions. That can't be right. Is nitrous oxide the same as oxides of nitrogen?

Posted Image

No. I am no chemist but I know that NOx is not the same as N2O.

Posted Image

Seems to be a common error. NOx is "oxides of nitrogen" and N2O is "nitrous oxide". The two are mutually exclusive.

At the same time, Ford has fallen in to the perennial "then" and "than" conumdrum.

We need to remember that the people making the videos are people that make videos... they do not have the foggiest idea of what makes an engine run. The narrator read the script she was given... from there we backtrack.

Sidebar... we read manuals that are written by people that write manuals... they are not written by people that fix things...

Everything we see and read in Ford documents assumes that we have some basic understanding of automotive theory. If it involves a pinpoint test... and that PPT has us perform a questionable or inappropriate test, we should do whatever we are comfortable with (if we are comfortable with testing a ground circut with an ohmmeter - we are in for a world of hurt).

Bottom line... we all like to expect that our mistakes will go undiscovered... but if Ford paid thousands of dollars (if they paid ONE dollar)for that vid clip... they got fucked. And whomever approved it's release needs to be chastised.

So... I'm in the middle of brining a turkey and making beef pies.. and I miss an overwhelming truth.

The video isn't a Ford video as far as I can tell. As far as I can tell.

It appears to be a production from Crossroads Ford. Apparently, this is a rather large group of dealerships. Once I saw this, I didn't spend too much time looking a the problem... What I did see is that the website will let you buy shit... but it wont allow you to tell them their ass is sucking slough water...

This isn't surprising since my ISP, my utlity providers, my satellite TV provider and many other companies that influence my life do not give me the online capability to criticize their performance. I can tell the, they are doing good, or that they are doing good or that they are doing good.

If they aren't doing good, I can call the "help line". I get to wait three days to talk to someone in Pakistan who will tell me that I need to call back later so that I can talk to someone that has a much poorer understanding of the English language.

We will accept this as "normal".

I've been guilty in the past of saying nitrous oxide also, but since I wrote a diesel emissions class I've been trying to say it correctly, nitric oxide (I think!).

When I was a kid my dentist gave me nitrous oxide, and it was a great buzz!

Posted Image

The video isn't a Ford video as far as I can tell. As far as I can tell.

This video and many others are from the powerstrokediesel.com website... the business connection section. You need to use your ford login to access. A lot of the stuff there looks to be Blue Diamond Truck / Blue Diamond Parts as well. If the videos are not directly from the mothership they would have come from Motorcraft or BDP.

The funniest thing about this is I have seen this video several times over the years and I only just realized the mistake.

After all this time, I never realized that this was there... I think I may have seen the website before but never realized I could log in and be told my input string wasn't in the correct format Posted Image

Something Mum never told me... she always said to make sure your underwear was clean if you went away from home... but she never said anything about my input string... Posted Image

Seen that in a printed ad for, but don't quote me because it was a few weeks ago and I may be wrong, Mercedes Blue Tec. I started to laugh and everyone around me couldn't see what was so funny. I just told them it's an automotive thing.