Cat 7.2 Turbo Nuts

Rate this topic

Caterpillar 7.2L Turbocharger to exhaust manifold nuts loosen and back off. Has anyone found this to be common? When calling for parts the Cat. parts people sounded like they get calls fo the parts all the time. Don't forget the engine serial number when asking for parts!

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old post, I have not heard of many 3126/C7's having this problem, they did see some problems in the marine engines. Some of the larger engines had updates for different nuts that required more torque.

When ordering parts from Cat always have the complete S/N and the arrangement number. This gives far fewer choices when looking up parts. If any of you need part numbers let me know, I log in at home all the time.

Tim

Hey, the post may be old but the information you gave me is still valuable for the future. And I do think you are right about this not being a common problem, I just thought it was an odd thing to see on a CAT engine.

Good advice on using serial numbers to get parts, with CAT you have to but for the Power Stroke guys its a good habit to get into: jot down the serial number before you go to the parts department. But what is an arrangement number and is this also clearly labeled on the engine tag? I like the fact that CAT removed the Engine tag from the rocker cover and placed it on the timing cover. Now I can read the silly thing without climbing all over the truck!

Oh, you have not lived until you see all the places they plaster the sticker. Valvecover, timing cover, oil cooler! Cat's arrangement # basically is a list of parts that make up a particular engine. It is not needed when getting parts but more the info the better. It is listed on the tag near serial number.