6.4 bent rod

Rate this topic

I had a 6.4 come in for the 11B23 recall and stupid me I mentioned it had a miss and a code P0266-cylinder 2 contribution. Power balance shows 2 and 8 missfire, SFT on 2 is +19 and 8 is +10, relative compresion is #2 8% and #8 5%. Compresion on 2 is 280 and 8 is 320. Tore engine down and #2 rod is bent front to back and the crank has been hitting the bottom of the piston under the wrist pin and wore a gouge in the side of the rod. The hotline said they have been seening the EGR cooler leaking causing this. I had to set the cooler in hot water for 10 minutes before it would leak a little but nothing major that you would think would hydralic the engine. The customer never knew he even had a problem.

Who would of thought a .5 hour recall could turn into so much work. Had another recall right before I did this one that the Y-pipe was hissing away and the customer didn't even complain about it.

Is this what Ford means by upsale? Anybody hear of EGR coolers bending rods?

I do 99% of the diesel work here and this is the first time I've seen this.

To bad for the customer but lucky for me the block is okay and only needs 2 pistons and rods and a crank. If I wouldn't of caught it so soon and let the customer have it looks like it would of caused more damage and he would of recieved a new engine.

• 2 weeks later...

yes definitely, major domino effect. this is why i'm so concerned with how many leaking rads leave our shop untouched. my service manager plain doesn't understand the repercussions

We had a lot truck that the sales dept. used as the plow truck last year. (They always take a brand new, or very slightly used super duty, always a diesel and use it as the company plow truck for the winter, BUT that's an issue for another topic.) Anyways towards the end of the winter they started loosing heat after throttle tip in. Radiator had a small leak but had lost enough coolant over the winter to cause a concern. Didn't do anything about it, and sold it a few weeks later. I asked if they had it fixed somewhere, because I knew I certainly hadn't. The reply was "Let warranty catch it."

I'm sure I'll see it again in who knows what condition.

yep had a few of these as well for several reasons. The main one always seems to be a coolant leak(radiator, hose etc) causing a low coolant level thus causing internal cooler leaks, keep on driving it and presto bent rod, broke piston or other major issues. I feel so sorry for anyone that owns a 6.4 and decides against the warranty.

"Presto!" Posted Image

That's awesome! Presto! There goes my productivity for a week. They ought to sell a "special ESP" to technicians who work on these.

Technician ESP = Extended Salary Protection

• 2 weeks later...