7.3 iDi hard start WARM

Rate this topic

Torqued_Up

Okay guys, I stepped into the time warp machine and I can't get out! I remember running into the old 7.3s with warm starting problems and there was a problem with the shunts or the module assembly??? All 8 glow plugs are good but this thing just blows smoke and wont restart unless you have just shut it off or it's stone cold. Cant find the manual anywhere and I also want to look at the temp sensor for the system.... anybvody remember which of the three it is?

You can use the diagnostics in the PCED for 1994 which by the way is on line in the PTS website. You can use that manual for all year idi engines. Dont know where the sensor is but if I were to guess it would be the one by the upper hose at the engine near that black square module on the harness. I do remember replacing the glow plug controller assembly for that concern.

So I broke out the ol Diesel Tach/Timing Meter (still in perfect working order) and discovered that the injection timing was at 1.4 degrees BTDC. Specification is 8.5 degrees at 2000 RPM. I couldn't adjust the pump beyond 4.5 degrees because when Jasper rebuilt the engine they mis timed the fuel injection pump drive gear by two teeth. Nice, eh? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smhair.gif Runs great and does not smoke anymore except under full throttle. And after replacing the GP module and servicing the batteries it fires right up hot or cold. Ran great but what a dog. LOL