2004 Escape 4wd

Rate this topic

Got one I've not seen, hopefully someone here has.

Customer calls last week, saying she can't get it out of park. Prior to towing, she tries again, it shifts and she drives it down. We check out her concern as she stated it, the interlock works fine.

Later on, when she picked it up, she went into detail she should have. The selector moved, but in any range it wouldn't move.

She took the car, after we scanned it, no codes present.

Today (about 3 days since above) She starts it this morning, the o/d off light is blinking. She freaks, and has it towed.

The tow driver did start it and moved it to the flatbed. He pulled it up and brought it to us. When he got in it to unload, it would start, but the front wheels were locked in all ranges. It sounded like, even in park, as if it were in drive and reverse at the same time, as the engine labored in all ranges.

We had to lift the front of the car to get it off the flatbed. The rear wheels and rear axle are free.

I scanned it and got P0731 (gear 1 error). I cleared the code and tried to move it. It went into drive, but didn't feel like first. I slowly moved around the lot and stopped. I put it in reverse and it went in with an audible gear crunching sound and when I went backwards, it bucked heaved and locked up a couple of times making horrible sounds. In drive it went into what felt like 1st, and went fwd, with the same noises.

When I got an open lift, I backed it up, no noise or issues, and then drove it slowly on the lift. No metal particles seen in the fluid, I checked the pto and the fluid looks clean from the drain. I also ran it in 4wd, in reverse up to 30 and through all 4 gears in drive up to as fast as you want. No odd noises.

I'm a bit fearful of an actual road test if it locks up again.

I'm thinking its toast. I'm assuming a hard part failure of some kind.

Other info:

3.0 V6

180,900 miles original trans. Svc every 30k.

Actually original lots of stuff, save rear shocks, belts, a few coils and brakes/brake hoses. Only on its 3rd set of tires.