Fuel blending

Rate this topic

I've read the post about fuel contamination and agree for the most part,but there are some Manufacturers out there that install fuel blending systems on there vehicles primarily the larger trucks and swear by them. It is a system that takes a small % of crankcase oil and put it in the fuel tank, as well as putting the same % of fresh oil back into the crankcase.

What does anybody think about this system? From my experience with the heavier trucks it works well, other than changing the fuel filter's a little more frequently it does extend the P.M. interval.

Did CAT offer something like that? I cant remember for the life of me where I heard about this first. It was a while ago. The system only requires filter changes and regular samples that are analyzed. It sounds like a good idea but I don't know how tolerant the new fuel systems and injectors are going to be to the addition to the used oil and byproducts. Once we get going on the ultra low sulfur fuel there will be a significant reduction in acids in the engine oil and combustion chambers. I have been reading that oil change intervals can be extended safely after the change over.

Keith, primarily I've had experience with the Cummins engines. Cummins says that the percentage is so small that it doesn't have any adverse effects on the fuel system, In the larger trucks if the automatic system is installed they say that the oil change interval can be extended to 525,000 miles or 844,906km with just the filter having to be changed at 75,000 miles or 120,701km but these systems have only been installed on large trucks. I think it would be a good test to see if this system could be installed on a smaller truck, just think extended oil changes and better yet no waste/hazardous material charges.

I Googled it. Lots of articles on the subject. Looks like something the Military is doing... even found the equipment they use. Now, the equipment I say was stand alone service hardware. Is there such a thing as a vehicle mounted system?