Home garages

Rate this topic

cbriggs

I'm looking into building a garage at my house, mostly for my own crap (sleds, quads, hotrods etc) and a small amount of cash side work. Any suggestions on size, layout etc. from guys with a shop at home would be great. I have never had a garage or shop of my own. When I was young my dad had a 1 bay garage, and it was always so full of stuff we couldn't even use it... So based on that I definatly dont want to go to small.

One of my former coworkers built a 20x40 shop on his property. It has two roll up doors offset in each of the 20' walls to make two long stalls. There is a lift set 20' in, centered on one roll up door. There is an area ahead of the flat stall, 10x10 or so for storage, laid out with shelves - holds a lot of stock for routine maintenance. The next 10' or so is for paperwork. The last 20' is his flat stall.

At the head of the lift stall is a regular entry door, sink, worktable and tools. The rest of the lift stall is open.

I think he spent about $20K for the foundation and building. He appointed the interior and installed the lift himself.

I haven't built one but have a general layout in mind that you might find interesting. It would be in two segments, one heated and insulated, the other not, for storage. I love mezzanines so the perimeter of the shop would have a mezzanine built around it for upstairs storage, air compressor, etc. A buddy of mine in Florida has a 60x30 similar to what I'm talking about, it has a drive-on and a twin post lift, end-to-end:

Posted Image

As for size, that will be dictated by your lot and local building codes. If I built one, it would have a 30x30 insulated workspace attached to a 2000+ft storage space with an insulated rollup door between them. I only need room for one work bay for my classic cars and don't do any side work.

Another friend of mine has a home shop with radiant heat in the floor and loves it, but I hadn't gotten that far. On IATN those guys say it's great unless you have a lot of auto traffic, as the dripping cars creates a sauna effect inside with everything sweating. If you don't have a lot of dripping car traffic it's not an issue.

Good Luck!

:grin:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I broke ground today. Site is prepped, Footings are dug, now to get some concrete in the ground. It will be an L shaped garage, overall footprint is 36' x 36', 15' ceiling hieght in one side and 11' in the other, with a 14' x 36' storage lean-to on one side. I will upload some pics once its at the point of resembling something, other than a bunch of dirt.