CAT Engine Brake

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if an ENGINE EXHAUST BRAKE is covered under the CAT warranty or FORD warranty? A customer had an actuator and valve assemble replaced because it was frozen. CAT charged him. This is a Jacob's engine brake in a Caterpillar box with a cat label and part number.

Was this a originally ordered from Ford or was it a add on after the fact? If it was ordered from Ford option # 57D then it would be covered under the base engine warranty. If it was added after the fact it would have a 1 year warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

We ran into this about a week ago at our dealership.330 Pete with a C-7 Cat.I am sure it is the same Flapper type brake you are talking about.It turned out there was a 5yr 500,000 mile warranty on the thing.Which fell under Cat warranty.The actuating solenoid you also mentioned is considerd part of the system as far as Warranty concerns go.Its very common for the shaft to freeze up on these things.

Thanx for the reply. Yeah, this is a flapper, well, actually a butterfly valve just like the EBP valve on a 7.3L and it has a bracket with an air piston installed on it. We have been having problems with our local CAT dealer as have many of their customers in their highway truck service center. I am going for training there next month for a re-cert. I'll be sure to as a lot of questions. Remember, It took me four years to get those bastards to unlock my ET software. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smhair.gif

We have a very good relationship with our CAT dealership and they are The Largest On the East coast period.Also CAT warranty is one of the Best in the Buisness.The big thing is if the tk you are working on is a warranty job.Do yourself a favor first off after plugging ET into it before checking codes.Create a warranty report and download right off the Bat.You may get tied up into checking things and forget about it.Or clear out active codes before downloading the ECM history.Either of these things will get the claim rejected.You can also go back and add things on the report after you have downloaded. like a Cyl cut-out test.If I can help let me know.

• 1 month later...

What Scott said"Do yourself a favor first off after plugging ET into it before checking codes.Create a warranty report and download right off the Bat.You may get tied up into checking things and forget about it.Or clear out active codes before downloading the ECM history" Cat requires a ECM history for every warranty claim. Cat uses their customers as R&D so they need this info!

I am off to CAT for training twice this month. Hope I learn something this time but I am sure that I will have many questions.

Thier is a Ton of stuff you can do with ET.You will like using it once you become farmiliar with it.Also the 06 version is even Better.It is faster and the Tool bar options are revamped and easier to use.CAT reflashes are also very easy to do.

The problem for me is that I'll only see about two of these trucks a year so becoming too familiar is not likely. What little I have had to use it I agree that it's easy to use. I am sure it will be used today and tomorrow in school... better log-off and get in the car and go!