7.3 dies at stops at times

Rate this topic

We don't have that tool.

I put the old style sensor in today and drove a few more miles than usual and it didn't die. I need to drive it a few more times before I call it a fix but so far so good. Have you ever seen the cams walk on these? Do you think the cam retainer plate is worn?

Went to the Carlisle car show, sorry for the late response. Yes, on rare occasion I've seen cam walk issues but not a pattern failure. It looks like you've found your problem. I can loan you the tool if you can't find one to borrow.

Posted Image

Was that the Ford show? I need parts for my old high school car, 1969 Mach I 428 CJ Ram air, that I,m finally restoring.

I appreciate the offer Bruce we'll have to see.

Not to second guess you, I value your opinion much more than the hotline, but I called the hotline today just to see what they have to say and they said the old style cam sensor puts out a stronger signal and they think like you mentioned that their might be some interference somewhere causing it. They have seen several connectors causing this problem but not at an idle. I'm going to replace the connector and install the new style sensor and see what happens.

Was that the Ford show? I need parts for my old high school car, 1969 Mach I 428 CJ Ram air, that I,m finally restoring.

No, I'm a cross breed that plays with other makes too. Carlisle was the Corvette show this past weekend and I have a VW Karmann Ghia also.

'69 Mach CJ is a fiiiiinnnnneeee car in my opinion......

Posted Image

I bought the car in 1977 for $800 but someone had taken out the 428 and put a 302 in it. It sat in the pasture at my parents farm for 25 years until I pulled it out of the weeds pack rats and all and started working on it. I saw on Ebay that just a bare chasis "R" code Mach with a title is worth $7,000.

Well I replaced the cam sensor connector and installed the new style sensor and it died this morning. I guess if the old sensor puts out a stronger signal it still could have an RFI problem or the cam could be moving. We have three salesmen chomping at the bit to get this truck because they have people wanting it and all they care about is that it doesn't die with the old style sensor so I guess we'll never know what the true problem is.

I can't thank you enough Bruce for all your help. If you ever drive through Topeka on your way to Kansas City let me know, I owe you lunch. You can even stay at my place if your tired of moteling it and I'll grill you up some Kansas beef.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess our sales department has more morals than I gave them credit for. They decided to wholesale it instead of taking a chance. A lube tech that works here bought it and has put 300 miles on it with no problems. At least now I will know if anything happens down the road with it and I will update if it starts acting up again.