04 F650 Dies Hard Starts Then Dies Again

Rate this topic

I got a customer with this 04 flatbed. I think NETS is needed for this-right? This is my first time even touching a 650.

Brief history, was hardly driven after head gaskets replaced by a "good tech"(not doubting) in their shop and he relaced all injectors as well. They tell me he's hard to reach or something like that becuase he works crazy hours at his job-which i can understand.....Anyway, before the head gaskets were done the mechanic working on it had to replace the high pressure pump for the second time after a local dealer replaced It and the low pressure pump also. Also forgot to ad he put a turbo in it-don't know if before the head gaskets or after and they didn't say if the coolers were done but i did see a fresh blue connector hose.

I checked the basics, oil level is good, fuel filter is new and all ok in the filter bowl, oil filter looks good and the filter standpipe looks ok. Also when it runs it has a misfire (no poping noises or anything) and they told me the guy who worked on it scanned it and had a code for cyl. 1 and had the code before and after the injectors were replaced- they couldn't tell me if it was a contribution code or an elecrtcal code. If you unplug the egr valve you could get it to run every time but it will still stall and restart and run again. You cant drive it more than 5 feet. From the cluster guage the oil pressure goes right up. When you rev up the engine it will rev up fine and the oil pressure needle don't drop or check guages light did'nt come on.

Yanking on the cranksensor takeout makes no difference when it's running or when it wont start nor the rest of the harness i could get my hands on. I don't want to tell these guys that i might have to remove the high pressure rails and high pressure pump to try to reinspect stuff like if the injectors were properly torqued or if the pump stc fitting is put on right or kinked at the branch tube or the condition of the injectors installed are ok or damaged some how or crappy aftermarket injectors......... Posted Image or what kind of head gaskets were put on there. I hate to second guess another techs work but still-i did'nt do the work.

Also is the the same adapter for the 550 and below used to check fuel pressure on this setup-looks like 7.3 fuel bowl?

Also i don't see the icp on either valvecover-it was just getting dark and got dark when i checked it.

I recomended 2 shops to them, 1 is a truck shop in the area that works on these properly and the other is a dealer in long island where i get parts but they don't want to go to these places. I want to help them because they have an f550 and like 25 chevys that need to be serviced and fit perfectly in my shop. So guys tell me what you think.

I think you did the right hing in deferring to a shop with the tools and resources. The 6.0L found in the medium duty trucks is "almost" the same as the engine you are used to but there are differences. You can't use Ford's scan tools and you will need Master diagnostics software. I have the tools for both and you have to approach them differently.

Yes and i told them that and a few weeks ago when this truck was first discussed. But they insist that i work on it or at least use all of the resources that i have at the moment.

Really i'm only doing this in order to get all their other stuff in here. I can lift their wreckers with no problem and i can hear the mis on their f550.

How about the adapter to check fuel pressure?

Looks like i will be removing the valve covers sunday night and air testing it and all that other stuff. I told them if the ficm or idm is bad that they have no choice but to bring it to a shop that has the NETS.

If i had at least 8 trucks like 650 or lcf as customers then i would purchase ids/nets setup.

And if i get all of their chevys and gmc's here i definitly will get the tech 2 with out a doubt.