6.7 idle timer

Rate this topic

Remember the 6.4 Engine Idle shutdown timer? Q-169-R3 ? If enabled after 5min of idle time it would shut the engine down? Well I would like to enable this on our 6.7s in the fleet. I have one truck here locally that needs it. It has never had the engine oil changed with 6500 miles and 1250 engine hours with over 950 idle hours! The driver is sitting in a yard running the truck all day for no reason other to run the heat or a/c. I need to prevent this if at all possible and if I can enable a idle timer that would be the best bet.

I have not found any bulletins on the 6.7 that pertain to enabling this feature. I have found a menu in IDS for this but it only lists a disable function which is obviously selected. There is no "Enable" selection.

Any input?

I have shut two off for our fleet division. I would think that if it shows up on the menu there would be an enable selection.

I know you are not stupid so I will take your word for it. I recall there being a regulation about this feature on trucks over a certain GVW. Maybe that is the issue? What size truck is this?

Its a 2011 F550 thats about a year old or so now. I think the GVW was anything over 10k lbs in california was required to have the 5min shutdown

My thoughts would be the same on if its in the menu and a disable there would be an enable selection. When I get the truck back today I am going to try and update the PCM/TCM calibration as Im sure its never been done and mess with it some more. Ill take a screen shot so you can see what Im looking at. Im on IDS version 76.03

yes of course.....

It kicks me out and tells me nothing has been changed so programming can not be completed

I did find the enable instructions in the WSM which is the same as the 6.4 however I have had no luck getting it to take. It seems my truck is missing the CDIM module that might be the trick to making this whole thing work.

From my research today it is a option that can be ordered when built but I do not know if its something that can be added after the fact. I hope its not like the cruise control on these trucks which can not be added after the vehicle is built like in years past. I hope that is not the case as I have at least 4-5 trucks I want to enable this feature on.

I am having my connections do a hotline report for me tomorrow just for the hell of it. Ill give my FSE a ring to see what else I can dig up.

Like some others, I have found that trucks that come with the feature enabled (I believe these would be California emissions trucks) cannot be turned off while others (what I would consider Federal emissions trucks) can fly either way - though here in the GWN we are busy connecting SEIC rather than programming things to shut off. Posted Image

What gets me is that wouldn't you think Ford Motor Company would want to ENCOURAGE the use of idle timers for emissions purposes? So why disable the ability to turn it on? If the idle timer can be turned off on a green state vehicle then what is the logic here? Posted Image

For CA emissions the 6.7 is clean enough with the DEF that it does not require the use of a idle timer any longer....

I am looking out for longevity of the engine along with added maintenance and fuel costs rather then the emissions output. You would think FMCO would encourage the ability to use this feature but stranger things have come out of their heads