Lack of heat at idle

Rate this topic

• 3 years later...

Got one here with same issue. I replaced the heater core as another shop had flushed it and replaced the thermostat. No heat at idle. No sign of coolant venting and owner says it does not use coolant. Any other likely cause for this?

• 2 weeks later...

A common symptom of head gasket problems is to have heat that comes and goes...Maybe @ idle/may be going down the road. I think it depends on cooling system design. The main point is when an engine has vent heat that comes & goes, testing for bad head gaskets will probably not be a waste of time.

Just to add a bit of info from another Ford tech: he says that the symptom for leaking head gaskets is more likely to be good heat at idle and no heat at higher revs. Any thoughts on that? :confused:

Whoa...De-javu.... That post seems very familiar...Wait...That was my post...

To clarify. I have had a few that fit my post that were head-gasket issues and weren't purging..odd I know, but weird shit happens. Only time I have seen no heat at idle was always a lack of flow. 

Not to say your's isn't head gaskets. But I would have a peek at the water pump and cover first. Just to cover my ass.

• 10 months later...

Well, truck came back-finally. Owner had a heart attack last February and didn't need the truck fixed until just recently when it got colder, and again, not heat at idle. This time, coolant was down slightly and there was a white coolant stain on the reservoir along with a bit of liquid coolant around the cap on the top of the reservoir. I also pulled the water pump, and although the impeller is tight on the shaft, there is the start of cavitation on the front cover behind the water pump. The head gaskets are definitely leaking as well. It has an egr delete kit on it also. Going to replace the front cover, head gaskets and the oil cooler. I will keep you posted on the results.  

• 2 weeks later...