'03 3.9L LS AC Compressor

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

A friend of mine wants to do all timing chains / tensioners on his wife's '03 3.9L LS at 100k before things start to break down. Manual says AC compressor has to be removed, but he says it almost looks like it can be moved to the side like the PS pump to get the front cover off.

Anyone know if this is possible? He just needs to know before starting the job so that he can get the system evacuated if the compresser MUST come off.

I have never touched one of these cars so I am clueless.

Looks like it has to get far enough out of the way to get the p/s pump bracket off. The p/s pump and compressor are on the left side.

The LS has zero room with the V6, the V8 must make it even worse. While he's got all that off, he should replace the big dollar heater control valve since it's a real pita to get to otherwise.

Is he planning on replacing all the crummy plastic coolant fittings? Talk about break downs.

I just did a p/s pump in one and I had to fully remove the a/c compressor to get the lower pump bolts out. They won't move out 1/2" with the compressor bolted up. Even if it could be done I honestly would not want to fight it.

Once the lines are off the a/c compressor you can swing them out of the way and it totally opens up that side of the engine. With the compressor out there's plenty of room to just lay the pump anywhere out of the way.

Never done one either.... t'is better to have evacuated the AC and not need to than to have a full system and say "oh, phuque".

We don't work on Lincolns much but we had one a couple of weeks back with two PS pumps - one for a hydraulic fan????