Tow Command and Backup sensors

Rate this topic

Finally found a bulletin today about adding Tow command to 05 vehicles that were not equipped.

My question is this...Will this work on all 6.0 torqshift tranny vehicles as in is this parameter out there on 03 and 04 models and just needs turned on or is it more involved than this?

Part #'s are as follows

5C3Z2D113AA Knob for brake controller

5C3Z14A303AA Harness for controller (same harness as the upfitter switches)

5C3Z2140HA Master cylinder

5C3Z2C006AA Controller (to order you must have the full vin place the order then call 800-403-4844 and provide them with the vin)

Hope this info saves someone else some time I have been /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif for a few days looking for some sort of info on this. Anything else that anyone can add would be much appreciated.

Also any know how or what might be needed to add the backup proximtiy sensors to a vehicle that wasn't built that way?

Broadcast Message 3938 - 2005 F-Super Duty - Dealer Installation Of Two Command System - Service Tip

If a tow command system (TBC) trailer brake controller is dealer - installed on a 2005 F- Super Duty that did not come from the factory with the tow command system, the controller may not operate and function as designed unless a brake pressure transducer equipped master cylinder is installed and the instrument cluster is reconfigured. To configure the cluster using WDS (cannot use NGS): identify vehicle; select toolbox icon; from list on left side of screen select "module programming" and hit tick button; select the programmable parameter item and a sub-menu will appear. In this sub-menu, select "personality" and hit tick button; select "trailer brake controller" then select "equipped". Master cylinder installation and cluster reconfiguration to complete dealer-installation of the Tow Command System are not warrantable.

According to the bulletin as I read it, the trailer brake control system can only be added to the 2005 models and likely upcoming model years. You can add all of the hard parts but I believe the cluster is is the limiting factor if that is what you are asking. The instructions in the bulletin have you configure the cluster by "turning on" the trailer brake control. I don't think this option was available in 2004 and definitely not in 2003, so those clusters wouldn't have the option. Perhaps some snooping around in a 2004 cluster configuration should provide the answer.

I have no clue on the reverse parking aid system as to what is required to add a factory system. I would think that to do so would be way too costly and troublesome for what it is, especially when there are excellent add on systems available. Maybe I'm wrong - but if the wiring isn't there then the job is going to get a lot harder than that rear bumper you are going to have to drill holes into. In comparison, adding the Tow Command system is far worth the cost and effort. From what I have been hearing, it's worth every penny and NOTHING comes close to it's effectiveness.

Wow! Did Ford just come up with a better idea that is!?!?

• 3 months later...

A little part number update I was made aware of on this topic. See? Even we techs learn from others on the Internet!

• 5C3Z-19H332-AA for all gas engine and single rear wheel apps.
  • 5C3Z-19H332-BA for all diesel engine and dual rear wheel apps.

I don't know the SSM number.

I would also look closely at the junction box,I installed a hitch on an 05 Escape a few days ago.There was a harness plug at the rear that is for tow lights and backup sensors but it was dead,so I thought I'd just look and see if I could just pop in a fuse,well what do ya know not only is the fuse not installed but there was no socket in the hole for the fuse to plug into.