Gimme A Beat!

Rate this topic

Had anther one towed in popping from the intake. I wonder what it could be? Posted Image It will be a few days before I can get into this one because we actually have some work in progress now but it's the same every time... worn rocker tips resulting in broken/displaced rockers. This truck is used so the likeliness of a seized valve is very low. In fact, I haven't seen one of those in a long time now. We service this truck regularly so I know it is not neglected.

I have no idea what gawd you are sacrificing medium sized mammals to... but every one of those helicopters I have ever been the proud recipient of have needed camshafts.

I guess it all depends on how long they let the popping go for before they bring in the truck. IMO most of the fleet trucks here in Alberta stay in the field when they should be in the shop for repairs. What say you Jim?

With new rocker assemblies on both banks we lost the popping but still have a dead hole on #8 and low relative compression on #1 and #8 and smoke. Looks like after a compression test we are goin in.

Leon, out here in the sticks, a truck isn't officially broken until it wont start or move. One of my last "big" jobs was an 08. "Customer states it was running rough and now it wont start"

Oil/fuel was weeping out of the dipstick o-ring (a tad overfull), the engine wouldn't crank faster than about 60 rpm even with two cat batteries to boost with. Three obviously bent rods and 4 bent push tubes... it got a short block and a head.

While some guys are anal about their trucks running right, others wont bring there's in until they need a tow truck.

Leon, out here in the sticks, a truck isn't officially broken until it wont start or move. One of my last "big" jobs was an 08. "Customer states it was running rough and now it wont start"

At least you were told it ran rough before it quit. By the time they get towed here all we get is "It won't start".

• 2 months later...