cyl 3 and 6 contribution

Rate this topic

Reg diesel guy went on vaction ,and i got the duty of finishing up a 7.3 lack of power he was into , has contribution codes p0269 and p0278,i'm new to the diesel side and mostly work on 6.0l .

I know he ck compression and fuel presure , 6 months ago he replaced both valve cover gaskets and harnesses,i got to replace injectors on 3 and 6 and resealed other 6 cylinders. Its an old bus ,03 e-350 with 293,000, well i got done and it still has contributions codes on 3 and 6 , idles fine ,till it gets a little throttle , then runs rough and falls on its face ,ts been rode hard and put a way wet ,i e-mailed hotline , told me to load test wiring and to overlay ground from icm.wiring ok , tried icm , no change ,it does pass buzz test , valve train looks ok , could it be fuel volume?it only flags 3and 6 any suggestions.

thanks

Welcome to DTS! Ouch, you got stuck with a fun one. I'd be suspicious of base engine on an old dog like that but checking FP under load is obviously an important part of the diag. I'd try another CMP just in case there's an issue there. I might also try filling the fuel filter with lubricity additive on the possibility that the other 6 have stick barrels and plungers which is common on this engine. It's late and I'll try to think more thoroughly tomorrow....

Posted Image

I found buzzing the injector cold helps alot. Need to check fuel pressure and check for restriction from tank maybe sucking trash had a ambluance to that to me,also change the fuel filter for shits and giggles.

• 2 weeks later...