A/C Compressor Failures

Rate this topic

I know that there was a recent SSM or TSB on compressor failures on 6.0L equipped trucks but I have now seen two compressor failures on LCF trucks (w/4.5L) The compressors start to make noise with very low mileage and fail in less than 1000 miles. Keep an eye open and an ear tuned to this potential!

The good news is that on the LCF the compressor is VERY easy to replace in contrast to a 6.0L van or truck. If you can't find it, the low side port is behind the rubber trim on the bottom of the cab just to the right of the left headlamp as you face the truck. It took me a while to locate it. ;) 

One important additional note: The compressor ASSEMBLY is only available as a Motorcraft part. Soooo, submit the warranty claim on a new truck and see how fast the claim gets bounced back! :/

Keith,

I have seen a couple of these failures, too. One of them actually wouldn't allow the eng to spin faster than about 70rpm so it also was a no start, until we removed the belt. Both failures had overheated clutch's with a fancy red rusted finish. Both had less than 1K on odometer.

Putting a Motorcraft compressor on isn't ok?

Just curious why. Not sure what I put on. It had a Navistar part number with Ford literature in the box.

Putting a Motorcraft compressor on isn't ok?

It is OK and as far as I know that's the only way to get one. It comes complete with pulley, field and clutch. Ford bounced the claims because we used Motorcraft parts instead of new, which is not available. I am sure it's an administration error that they need to correct.