Installing Plows

Rate this topic

Just curious if anyone has experience with this and what kind of labor it is worth?

I am actually switching a plow from a GMC to a new F450 using a brand new mount kit. The plow itself is used. I had to remove the electronics for the plow and lights along with the harnesses. Fortunately I was also supplied with new plow light harness kits.

Used plows can be the biggest pain in the ass you will ever deal with. They are tough enough when it's a brand new kit. Hopefully you are dealing with a Fisher. I rate them as follows: Fisher#1, Boss#2, and everything else is pure junk.

We usually get around 4 hours with a kit that has to have the blade assembled. The older ones paid more but you had to drill the frame horns out for 8 bolts (Fisher) or 10 bolts (Boss). New kits go together easy enough but when they don't operate properly is when things go south. I hope this abortion your dealing with goes smoothly. Oh and we get 2 hours to remove old plow kits. So you should be looking at a minimum of 6 hours right out of the gate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I put a brand new 9' western kit on a 450 a few years ago. Was pretty gravy to do, mount was a direct bolt on I beleive, dont remember drilling anything anyways. I seem to remember charging 8 hours.

• 2 months later...

I am currently installing a Western "wide out" plow with an ultra mount system on an 07 dodge, at home. Told the guy 10 ish hours @75/hr. Not too bad of a cash job. Just have to finish wiring it in the morning and it should roll out the door.

Most of the time it's the "WAG or SWAG" method of finding a labor time. This can be attributed to the awesomely wonderful used car department. They always want to install some plow off one truck to another completely different make and model truck. This makes for a serious abortion of a setup in most cases. The shop had 2 full days in one job, before the whole thing was scrapped.

The new Fishers don't require any drilling on the truck frame but the blade does not come assembled so we usually charged a flat 6 hours.