2003 Up Explorer Parking Brake Shoes

Rate this topic

How do you guys do these shoes. They suck like a hoover IMO...

The shoes are only about 1/2" bigger dia than the hub flange. Getting the top spring hooked is flat out dangerous unless I'm missing something? I considered slide-hammering the hub flange out but figured it would blow the bearing to hell...?

I've only done a couple sets so maybe they get easier...?

Posted Image

This appears to be the one time that I don't have any pictures in my data to go with this post. I'm gonna have to work on that!

Do you wear rubber gloves at work? Because this operation goes much smoother if you have some available. I hook the two shoes together with the top spring and then pry them into place, hook the adjuster up and the bottom spring, and then I poke a hole in my glove at tip of the middle finger and insert the hold down pin so the pin becomes one with the 'ol finger. This allows you to push the pin into the wicked (stupid) recess on the backing plate while you attach the retainers on the park brake shoe side. Badda bing badda boom, done!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The IRS ones are easy, you just have to do a bunch to get them figured out. I always put the shoes in place before hooking up the springs.

Trying to do shoes on a solid rear explorer or even crown vic without pulling the axles is what I hate. I avoid that at all costs.

I use a brake spring hook tool I bought at harbor freight. Sometimes an o-ring pick tool works too but those break easily

The IRS ones are easy, you just have to do a bunch to get them figured out. I always put the shoes in place before hooking up the springs.

Trying to do shoes on a solid rear explorer or even crown vic without pulling the axles is what I hate. I avoid that at all costs.

I use a brake spring hook tool I bought at harbor freight. Sometimes an o-ring pick tool works too but those break easily

I used a "large" pick. main problem was the customer was standing over my shoulder carrying on an animated conversation with my co-worker...I hate that. Finally suggested he step back 10 feet or so, as to avoid flying springs/broken pick parts.

The shoes where from NAPA and the co-worked was pumping the guy up on the importance of replacing all the hardware. My experience has been...the fucking shit doesn't fit. I finally gave up and re-used the old hardware as the new stuff sucked.

The manager mentioned they remove the axles on the solid axle Exploders.

Lots of fun. I had one last week for hub bearings, it was an 05. And yeah it sucks

when the front pin falls out and down. Good thing I had all the bolts loose, just pop

the lower one out and the pin drops down. The start over. Yeah the spring is fun to connect.

I use a craftsman hose seperator hook to pull it across and when I get it just in I whap

It good with a slotted screw driver and a small hammer to send it home. Do these

In voluum and you will have aches and pains.

Then the next day I had another explorer an 03 I think with just rwd.

It had a no reverse at times concern and a flashing od light. Fixed the od light

-was a very very loose trans. solenoid connector.

Then took the rear rotors off and the whole shit fell apart and out.

It belongs to a used car lot so they said they're going to put shoes in it.

I sure was relieved-though I was sure they were going to.

Lots of fun. I had one last week for hub bearings, it was an 05. And yeah it sucks

when the front pin falls out and down. Good thing I had all the bolts loose, just pop

the lower one out and the pin drops down. The start over. Yeah the spring is fun to connect.

I use a craftsman hose seperator hook to pull it across and when I get it just in I whap

It good with a slotted screw driver and a small hammer to send it home. Do these

In voluum and you will have aches and pains.

Then the next day I had another explorer an 03 I think with just rwd.

It had a no reverse at times concern and a flashing od light. Fixed the od light

-was a very very loose trans. solenoid connector.

Then took the rear rotors off and the whole shit fell apart and out.

It belongs to a used car lot so they said they're going to put shoes in it.

I sure was relieved-though I was sure they were going to.

I'm actually pretty disappointed that you guys suck as much as I do...

I expected somebody to have some magic... Posted ImagePosted Image