Need Career Advice

Rate this topic

Jwebb1981

I got a job offer from carquest to help in the fleet market to work the counter for starting pay at 9 dollars/hr. When I told my boss that I was quiting, He asked "What can I do to keep you here"? The reason that I am thinking about the carquest job right now is because of the past 3 wks since I got back from my honeymoon. I have been working on a 6.0 engine swap. It has been a big pain in my ass. everything has gone wrong.

So, my boss starts out with the offer of 16.50 for gasoline engines and 21.50 for diesels. And I have to go to 6.4 trainning. right now I am making 14.00 gas and 19.00 diesel.

Carquest offer is 9.00 now 90 days will move to 9.50. 40 to 45 hrs a week. 5 miles less to drive one way. Annual rasies and 4% cost of living increase every year.

My question is if you was 25 and married which one would you take? What else would you ask for to keep you and the shop. I know that no one can tell me which one to take but I would like advice from people that have been in this for longer than I have. BTW I have only 1 yr of diesel exp and about 2 yrs co-op exp.

Thanks.

the choice is yours . i have been offered independant . guess it all boils down to where you are most comfortable . i agree the 6.0 sticks and is miserable to work on . but if you mater it there is a sense of pride that few others can match . i have worked in dealers for 18 years now . done a lil bit of everything . i was offered money to start my own shop . but insurance and all that played the strongest part for me i have wife and three kids i need insurance and a reasonable amount of stabilty . dealers give me that . where i am i am treated well dont work nights or weekends . and they gave me a 4 day weekend for the forth . doubt youll get that at an independant . weigh all the options and do what you feel is right for you . for me its a dealer . to each his own . but if doesnt work out there will always be ford to fix

Thats a pretty big difference in pay provided the hours are similar. The way I see the situation is a good diesel technician is worth a lot to a dealership these days or anywhere for that matter. The good thing about working for a dealership is that you can get a lot of good technical training depending on the dealer. You also get to see the newest technology first which some see as a disadvantage - I look at it as a challenge.

As for the money, a well trained successful diesel tech can demand a good wage. Up by me 30+ an hour with benefits for the best! At this point I think that I could walk into any dealer and snag a job because we are a dieing breed in high demand right now.

Okay, I'm rambling on. If I were 25 and newly married I would make time for sleep. Posted Image Then I would think about my future and try to build a career and do what is going to be most beneficial in the long run. RIGHT NOW which job best meets that?

And by the way, congratulations on your nuptials! Posted Image Wait till you have kids... the wiser career choice now will help you later.

I wish that I could answer that Doctor that what I have been tring to figuare out. 16.50/21.50 is good money don't get me wrong. Well as long as I can turn a good bit of time. Some weeks we are so slow I don't turn nothing. Anyways I like the idea of carquest that I won't be working long hours and they have a/c Posted Image Not have the stress of working on these diesel are another plus. But I know that I will miss them in a werid way. I may take the job just until I find something else. Like a brand that don't have diesel or have diesels but better benefits other then just getting a paycheck.

I wish that I could answer that Doctor that what I have been tring to figuare out. 16.50/21.50 is good money don't get me wrong. Well as long as I can turn a good bit of time. Some weeks we are so slow I don't turn nothing. Anyways I like the idea of carquest that I won't be working long hours and they have a/c Posted Image Not have the stress of working on these diesel are another plus. But I know that I will miss them in a werid way. I may take the job just until I find something else. Like a brand that don't have diesel or have diesels but better benefits other then just getting a paycheck.

AMEN! Get out while you can... Posted Image

Base wage is about $30 CA per hour... a 9 bubble Master tech gets $35 plus a $2 bonus for over 100 hours in two weeks - not hard to do (I missed once so far this year - that's $2 for every hour made). I got called in 4 days out of my holiday. I am booked three weeks in advance. Diesel cert is a big asset.

You will have to challenge and pass the Alberta Journeymans test - not impossible... I'm a Journeyman.

This is Alberta... we are crying for workers. Full time help at our local MacDonalds pays $10.50/hour.....

Jeez.. somebody has to be tempted. http://www.slford.com/

If you stay at the dealer I would see about making your hourly pay constant, that flip flop pay base has to be a nightmare when checking your flag sheet.

I combat the sometimes loosing battle with the 6.0 liters by rotating a gravy job between diesel jobs. I got fed up with the learning curve and lack of hours that occasionally accompany working on diesel after diesel and, "hey you done with those we have three more coming in on the hook from other shops and no one knows what's wrong with them", so I told the boss I wanted either $5 bucks more per hour or a gravy job between each diesel no matter how stacked up they were outside.

The manager agreed to the latter and it has worked pretty good so far. I make a lot more per week and I still fix the majority of the diesels.

I also escaped the "burn out factor", it's still hovering around somewhere though.

I think that most of the guy's will agree, once you're in this business you pretty much stay in it. When I was 17 I said that I would only do this for a yr. or 2, that was 26-27 years ago. It doesn't really matter where you go, every part of the auto/truck business has it's up's and down's. Good luck and whatever you decide I'm sure we will all be pulling for you.

Yeah I tired the whole gavy in b/w diesels I ended up turing less time due to the fact it takes a day to get parts. I have made my mind up to leave today is my last day here. In fact I am leaving in about 10min. The good news is that I do have a 4 bay shop behind my house with two lifts like I have here. And I know people that have 6.0s with about 100,000 miles on them. I can make good side money doing that if I want. I am just tired of the whole being 3 diesel deep on monday and they all have to go by wednesday regardless of whats wrong with them. I could make more money here than at carquest but the thought of going home and not putting ice packs on my back is sounding will good. For godsakes I am only 25 not 50. Who knows if I get the right offer I may be back. I will still be on this site in the background praying for you guys.

I will still be on this site in the background praying for you guys.

You, as well as any member who "flies the nest" are always welcome here. Feel free to pick our brains, say hello or tell us all what color the grass is on the other side.

Cheers! Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a week on the job the grass looks like around 75 degrees all day. Getting paid when there is no work. No boss barking at me to get 3 trucks done in one day. I go home at 5. I get overtime, 7 vacation days, I guess the only down side is that it will take a couple of yrs to make I would have been makeing at the dealership. But the less headaches and my back doesn't hurt anymore, so it kinda evens out I guess