09 9.75 electric - ring, pinion, crush sleeve

Rate this topic

YukonTyler

Just a heads up out there ... updated 9.75 ring and pinion for the e-locker on a 2009 9.75 F150. the updated crush sleeve is different than what is listed by VIN. the updated crush sleeve is the same part # that comes on (only) the '12+ Expedition.

back story ................ i had a 1/2 ton off the hook that sheared the pinion in half, sent the pinion gear through the diff housing and made the prop shaft look like a banana. i pieced it back together and it went a few days and ~100 km. came back with the transfer case split 360 degrees just rear of the tranny. consensus around the shop is that it was hooped (stressed) from the original failure and never stood a chance. that being said, when it came back it had a bit of play in the pinion that was not there when it was sent out the first time. i went to go put a new crush sleeve in to take care of this and here is where the fun started ...

the '09 crush sleeve is a half inch wide - the usual thin one that has been around forever.

the '12 F150 crush sleeve is 2 1/2" long ... ordered this 'cos the new diff housing etc came from the factory floor

the updated '12 Expedition (the one that's needed) is 2 3/4" long and is not listed anywhere in microcat for this ring and pinion update.

stock this new crush sleeve. it will save many headaches for somebody one day.