Surging and Stalling

Rate this topic

2006 LCF with intermittent surging and stalling with no codes. You just can't make this stuff up! You aren't going to believe this but they actually built another truck with a major wiring defect! The symptoms are surging, stalling and lacks power at random likely without any codes and passes all testing. This particular failure may also become a stalls/no restart or cranks/no start with fuses F1.12 and F1.46 open. (others are possible.

Remove the front grille from the truck and inspect the main harness that runs from a connector in the middle of the two frame rails and goes up the center of the front of the cab and then into the cab. This harness has NO CONVOLUTE TUBING and is wrapped in black cloth tape /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif You may find the harness tightly secured to two brackets with zip ties. The brackets have sharp edges that cut through the harness and can cause what we have come to know as PCM reset. I wiggled the harness and was able to blow the two fuses mentioned. The fuses? They power the ignition switch, ECM/PCM, AP sensor, Speed Control SW, BOO SW, IDM, the IPR and MAF.

I repaired the wiring and replaced the fuses, wrapped the harness in some of that leftover tape from the 05S34 recall and some convolute tubing where the brackets are. I then re-secured the harness with new zip ties. I recommend that if you come across this also note that the harness may also contact the receiver/dryer mounting bracket as well. I will follow up this post with an article including photographs (as usual) so that you can see what this really is about.

Now, would somebody advise the Mexicans at the plant that old socks are not good for wrapping harnesses!

No nomas porque la fabrica esta en Mexico quiere decir que la culpa es de los Mexicanos. Los INGENIEROS DE FORD en los Estados Unidos Americanos son los que disenan la alambrica de los vehiculos...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/readthis.gif JUST FUCKIN' WITHYA'

So what you are saying is ahhh, we have another potential wiring nightmare on our hands? Greeeeeaaaaat! Good jOb FoMoCo! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif Or is Mazda responsible for this one since they build the cab? This is starting to sound like a design requirement at Ford. I think Chevy and Dodge sent engineers to work for ford to design bugs into their trucks so I don't think it has anything to do with the people south of the border either. Just kiddn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif and I did it in english!!!

Anyway thanx for the heads up, pic's ???