Intermittent "Overheat" ?

Rate this topic

I had one in class today I couldn't figure out, it belongs to First Energy/Penelec Zelienople, PA.

1FDXF46R18ED18326

6.4 cruises on the highway for 30-60 minutes, temp gauge goes (almost instantly) to the right peg, engine derates severely to the point it will barely run and won't keep speed on the highway. Driver pulls over to the side of the highway, checks coolant (OK) not boiling, restarts truck, gauge goes to normal almost instantly (within 1-2 minutes of it being pegged), drives off and everything is OK for a while. Exact same scenario has happened 5 times in the last week, never before driving a minimum of 40 minutes. Truck is definitely not overheating.

DTCs- EGR flow, P2291, P1000, passes all KOEO, KOER, HPP tests.

Open the EGR and the MAF goes from 32g/s to 15g/s and EGRTO goes up 10 degrees.

I'm suspecting a shorted ECT by the water pump or a shorted harness. It's kind of hard to shake the harness on this pig as I couldn't even get at it.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Posted Image

Is the connector seated properly? I forgot to plug one in once and had a bitch of a time after all was back together. Ended up having to get the PS pump out of the way to get it to seat all the way.