03 6.0 no power

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, need some help, have a 03 6.0 with no power on accel from a stop, but boost psi is at 30, once its at highway speed runs fine. I have performed every test I can think of, had turbo apart and found unison broken, replaced, performed vgt learn,still runs like poo. any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh ya it came in for a secondary fuel filter housing the customer tried to replace himself.... noticed lack of power after that repair was completed

ya fuel psi is 60,passes egr test, turbo test, i have smoke tested intake and exhaust side found no leaks, run like poo: at wot from a dead stop i could outrun it on foot. at highway speed it seems to be fine. i'm doing some other checks on the turbo today i think it something might be wrong with vgt

If it performs a VGT relearn without issues then the VGT is most likely ok. Never seen a torque convertor go out on one of these but seen many on 4R100's. I like to put the truck nose down on the biggest incline I can find and then romp on it in reverse. If the truck just sits there revving then the convertor isn't multiplying the needed torque to get going.

Just thinking out loud.

Plugged cat maybe. Highway speeds run around 1800 RPM, you wouldn't notice an issue until you try to pass someone. Try disconnecting the down pipe down at the convertor and see if she smartens up. Had a few like that. They get clogged up with soot. You can typically take them out and clean them. Try a neutral run up. If it doesn't make it past 2500 RPM you have a plugged cat.

thanks for the help guys..... it turns out that the turbo vgt learn process had to get clear up to 8 until it ran right. everything ive read says once it gets to five its done....shame on me i guess thankfully its done

As I recall the number is 6 sequences before the VGTLEARN_OK pid indicates yes. According to the overview handout the cycles may continue to fine tune the PCM after that point. You also need to know that to enter this "state" you need to reset the KAM which also means you need to run a KOEO self test for the PCM to relearn the EGR valve minimum stop value. Cycle the ignition 2 times then start the engine (already at operating temperature.)

My own observations have shown me that road testing with hard acceleration from a dead stop and some after a short coast helps with the turbo response.

What does not make sense is the repairs made on the truck should not have required this procedure to be performed unless the batteries were disconnected or as mentioned, the KAM was cleared. Regardless it is good to hear is has been fixed! Posted Image