514 Crate Engine?

Rate this topic

Aaron

Anyone have any idea why Ford Racing no longer offers the 514/521 cubic inch crate engines?

Or any big block crate engine, for that matter?

I'm looking to put a Mustang (or Fairlane Thunderbolt replica, haven't made final decision - but if it's a thunderbolt - it HAS to have a big block) drag car together, and I'd like to put a big block in it. And as I remember, $10k for 580 horse naturally aspirated wasn't a bad shake, especially with a 2yr warranty.

I suppose I can look elsewhere for a crate engine, but ideally, Ford Racing stuff used to be the best bang for the buck and the quality is pretty good as well. Not to mention, it's backed by Ford, not "Joes Racing Engines".

Any ideas?

I'd like to avoid using a mod motor. This wil not be a street car, and will likely have a dominator carb on it, so streetability/driveability is not much of a concern.

I built a 800HP 557 BBF for my car 15 years ago for around $7,000 from Shannon Engineering using an OEM block and everything else is aftermarket. It uses Blue Thunder heads and they said I can get 1500 horse out of this set up with some port work. They said they have guys running these at 8,000 rpm with no problems but I use a 7,000 rpm chip in mine.  I ran it over 8,000 on the dyno and it doesn't loose or gain HP over 7,000.

You can build a Ford motor for about the same price as a Chevy. I'm glad to see you're not going the Chevy path. I get tired of the race track announcers calling my engine a Chevy even when I put it's a Ford on the tech card. I even have guys at Ford only events looking through my wheel wells in the staging lanes to see if it's Ford powered.