They're building me a classroom!

Rate this topic

GregH

So I've been doing this teaching thing for three semesters now, and I'm really enjoying it.  Coming back around to teach the same material to a new class in the fall, and the school decided to act on a suggestion I made some time ago.  They are building me a climate controlled classroom! 

Here's how the shop looked last semester:

Posted Image

10 bay shop, with the "classroom" on the north wall.  The four post rack seen in the background did not operate, and you can see a projector screen erected in the middle of it.  To the left of that rack is seating for my 30 students.  Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, not an ideal learning environment during class time.

Over the summer, they've come in and cleared the classroom area and removed the non functional four post rack:

Posted Image

And erected walls:

Posted Image

Here's the plans:

Posted Image

My desk will be on the west end of the class.  Built in desks and computers for 30 students.  I've found that I like to walk while I'm talking to the students, so I asked to have this layout so I'll have a circular track to walk.  65" flat screen television mounted on the east wall with a large whiteboard (drawing shows the TV centered, it'll actually be centered on the north aisle, and whiteboard centered on the south aisle)  The doorway is large enough to roll an engine through, and I'll have bookcases built by the physical plant mounted along the west wall.  I would like some decorations for the class, so if any of your dealers have old sales banners (I've got the old long one advertising the 2009 F-150) I'd sure pay for the shipping! 

I'm stoked about it...  I'll post more pictures as construction progresses.

Hot damn, I'm excited for ya! I am glad things worked out and you didn't have to climb back in the trenches. Look forward to seeing the finished project. Looks like you got some photo hounds in there. :D

If I recall you were concerned about your students being engaged in learning - how is that for you with several semesters behind you now? A nice environment that is properly equipped will do wonders for student moral and interest too. Looks good though and I am happy to hear it's working out. What is the course you are teaching?

I've worked hard to develop a teaching style that engages as many of the students as possible.  Workgroups with scripted lab activities and computer assignments have helped.  I maintain a consistently structured environment with regularly spaced breaks, and the students know what to expect when they come into class.

I'm teaching automotive technology to post-secondary students.  I'm the only instructor in this program here, so I teach all 8 areas - brakes, electrical/electronics, automatic transmissions, steering and suspension, etc.  The first photo above was taken during my engine repair class - you can see the students working to get down to the crankshaft on their provided engines.  4.6L in the background on the right...

• Like 1