Pistons / Comb. Chambers ceramic coated?

Rate this topic

I've heard some rumors that the piston crowns and some other parts of the combustion process will be treated with a Mullite ceramic coating. Any truth to this? If so, wouldn't this help the combustion area retain heat and get pushed out the exhaust while lowering the surrounding components temperatures?

Haven't even heard mention of that rumour, yet... I've been watching broadcast messages and classroom schedules pretty close for any hint of 6.4 training. Our town is heavy on diesel SDs and I really need to get our guys signed up for any training I can.

• 4 weeks later...

We just tore down the top of the engine today and are starting to figure out what to cover in the class for January 2007. As I mentioned in a earlier post, there is just no way to predict future concerns. (I will have to ask about the pistons.)

Manuel... I've asked our Edmonton instructor several times about the 6.4 course and (not surprisingly) there are no real good answers....

I live in "diesel city" and it would be nice to know exactly when the course will be released. I have, at this time, three guys to put through this and January is a real zoo for us....

I don't think anyone not involved in development will have a good answer. We are targeting January for training instructors and I think that date is pretty locked in. Now it will really depend on getting the engines, trucks, and ESST's to the training centers.