EGT Job Aid

Rate this topic

Be careful guys because I just got burned. Not because I didn't see the job aid, but because I did. It's wrong; it incorrectly shows on a chassis cab how the EGT13 is after EGT14, so if you're looking at the diagram on a chassis cab it will be EGT11, EGT12, EGT14, and EGT13. But on a puck up it's how you would expect in order from 11 to 14.

On the chassis cab I’m working on EGT13 is before EGT14.  :banghead: 

I have seen it many times that the location listed in the job aid doesn't match the sensor PID.  I always will unplug the suspect sensor while monitoring all 4 EGT pids to see if any (other) EGT sensor readings change prior to removing the sensor.

• Like 1

I have seen it many times that the location listed in the job aid doesn't match the sensor PID.  I always will unplug the suspect sensor while monitoring all 4 EGT pids to see if any (other) EGT sensor readings change prior to removing the sensor.

I read somewhere to do this, so you don't change the wrong one. Possibly an SSM. I thought it was in the PPT, but it's not. 

I read somewhere to do this, so you don't change the wrong one. Possibly an SSM. I thought it was in the PPT, but it's not. 

Yes there is an SSM explaining this on the chassis cab. They can be reversed or in normal order.

• 2 months later...

I got burned by the job aid on a chassis cab truck and so has the other diesel tech. Supposedly if you do a PCM reflash it adjusts them to the nominal order. However I found if I just look at the pids and disconnect the rear most sensor I can usually figure it out which order the 2 are in.

• 3 months later...

Here is one that throws a kink into the mix. 2011 F550, chasis cab. Should be 11,12,14,13 according to WSM, right? CEL on P246E, TSB 13-10-01 instructs replace EGT14, just to be sure I unplugged the LAST one, which is 13 according to WSM, EGT12 goes high...WTF???. Plugged it back in and went back one and unplugged that one, which is 14 according to WSM, 13 and 14 go high...WTF???. Customer is in a hurry for truck so I say screw this and changed the one the WSM says is 14. Clear codes and send him on his way.