05S34

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Safety Recall 05S34: Who's doing them already? We just started today because I learned my parts department ordered the necessary parts before they went on backorder. These are all trucks that happen to be in the shop already. No big deal right? And you wonder what the rep and zone manager are so worried about? These are the same repairs I have been making for the last year or more!

But as I am waiting for the sealant/glue to start melting out of the heat shrink on the ICP sensor I just soldered in, "Ghee, I have never made this repair before... but I have replaced the 2003 IPR connector and wiring about a dozen times!" You know, at the rear of the engine?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I gotta funny feelin that somethin ain't right!

Keith,

I completed my first today on a 450 ambulance that was in for an egr cooler, y-pipe/right exension, and associated gaskets. Parts let me keep the old one, so I examined it. It had a deep indentation from the intake bolt, almost a "baked-in" impression, just like the pictures. Our parts department only reserved a few harnesses, minus one more today.

Yes, I'm getting a sinking feelin, too. Our area has a great many 6.0's running around, with my bay attacting a fair number as there's no other facility for 30 miles. I'm lucky, though as the service manager takes care of some of the time discrepancies and I'm not left in the cold. For my boss, it is more important to turn some competent work rather than crave the dollar. So far, so good.

I am discovering that the green coated o-ring at the breather connection for the intake swells and cannot be reused. I recommend that you ask your parts department to stock replacement o-rings (3C3Z-6766-BA) for the breather to intake tube connector. The rubber o-ring swells and sticks causing it to no longer fit or seal. This is something you have to disconnect to perform the 05S34 recall just in case you have not done any yet.

I'd be happy to get one of those apart without breaking a lock tang off the plastic connection. There is a CCV tube repair kit available for both early and late builds... O-ring is included as well as keystone clamp.

Yes, I have found the o-ring swollen or split, also. I've had parts stock-up on them just for that reason. And yes, a few of the couplers have broken on me, too.

And for once in the last 8 weeks, my bays are ambulance-free /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So are you guys doing many of these recalls yet? We are despite what the rep says we should do... or what Ford would prefer. Wait until the next recall is announced next month and do them all at once. No, I don't think so. Customers don't want to hear that. Just git 'em done!

We're doing the wait thing.... even though I've had FICM harnesses almost out doing other work. The chance to bang an extra few points onto a warranty RO would be nice...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...