Can you replace my engine please?

Rate this topic

A fellow strolls into the shop and wants to know what it would take to put a 7.3 in his 6.0 powered F-350. I replied "a lot". We get into the conversation about why, and he tells me his engine has "flown apart". Much prying ensues and he talks about doing a short block, then we discuss a crankshaft and possible rod. Finally he agrees on towing it up to us to remove the engine and do a tear down to determine what the fix will need.

I asked him again how bad the engine sounded and he said he wouldn't start it again 'cause it was knocking so bad and smoking up a storm. Truck arrives at the shop, 2003 model smoking and knocking.

Well, 1 fuel injector replacement later and she is back on the road tearing up the mean streets of K-town (Kinston).

Mark that up to another person that has relied on web forums, such as the Monkey House, to convince him that 6.0s are such junk and the best fix is to put in a 7.3 or a Cummins.

I don't necessarily think it's that. Sounds like a self-diagnosis by someone who has no clue to me. Fuel knocking can sound horrendous and if it smokes badly enough I can see  how someone could think the worst. But I wouldn't doubt he was on the Internet at some point.